Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • New 29er. Any different ideas?
  • chrisdw
    Free Member

So since breaking my arm on a silly double. I’m looking to change my bike to something a little more trail orientated and then buying a separate dh bike. Not entirely convinced on the whole winch and plummet thing that enduro bikes seem to be designed around.

I’ve currently got a Nukeproof Mega TR 275 which is nice, but it’s still very burly. And a mondraker vantage hardtail. Again nice. But still seems very ‘down’ oriented.

I’m after a low travel 29er that is happy on most things and a bit of thought about climbing has gone into it. Best bike I’ve seen that fits the bill so far is the Spesh Camber.
    Is there anything else I should be looking at that I may not have thought of? Probably no more than about 130mm.

Ta!

jam-bo

New or s/h?

I’ve just built up a transition bandit 29r with 650b+ wheels. It was good as a 29r but really good as a + bike.

oldnpastit

Singular Swift.

otsdr
    Free Member

Liteville 101?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Think for me it would be between the Transition Smuggler and the 2017 Trek Fuel EX.

sambob
    Free Member

Process 111? Transition Smuggler? Cotic FlareMax?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Either really. New appeals because of finance deals and 2017 models! But second hand would be great too!

Liteville is lovely. Bit pricy though I reckon.
    Liking both the transitions mentioned. Not looked at them before!

fifeandy
    Free Member

2017 Scott Spark in the b+ flavour?

Edit: or the normal 900 (not RC) model even.

scandal42
    Free Member

T129 SCR

yossarian
    Free Member

Evil the following?

<looks around>
    <backs slowly out of the thread>

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Flare Max would do you fine. Whyte T130 or T120?

snotrag

Kona Hei Hei trail looks excellent, take the geo of the process but made it light and better at climbing. What giant should be doing with the anthem!

(next year’s anthem sx looks ace too but not 29“ if that bothers you.
    I’m hovering over a Boardman Pro currently because of the stunning value but wondering whether or better holding out for a 29″ light trail full susser as that’s what I really want.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Chris – I can thoroughly recommend the spesh camber. I had a great ride tonight – Surrey Hills singletrack ranging from flattish, narrow stuff to stepp stuff at the limit of my ability. Lts of small jumps and drops which the camber evo just ate up.

I actually thought -wow, I love his bike – when I put it in the car at the end.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Flaremax
    Speedfox
    Stumpy
    Genius
    Spectral
    Loads of ‘nu skool’ 29ers about at the
    Worlds your lobster. Money no object flare max for me

^^^although that spark up there give s me the ‘orn and I’m a plus hater, big time

chrisdw
    Free Member

The flare max is indeed lovely. Unfortunately the money has to play a part!

The Hei Hei looks great. Not many deals about yet. Looks ideal though! Great suggestion!

Giant definitely seem to have a gap in there lineup of a 29er like this.

Not keen on YT or Canyon. Mostly because of the customer service issues.

Teamhurtmore. Good to hear another good review on the camber. Don’t think I’ve seen a bad one! Is yours the aluminium or carbon?

chrisdw
    Free Member

I agree about that Spark too.. Can’t find it available anywhere yet.
    Looks pricy 😈

6079smithw
    Free Member

Radon Skeen

spev

Banshee phantom? Or a Prime

chakaping
    Free Member

Smuggler sounds good for your needs.

Process 111 a bit too burly I reckon, as an owner of one.

Rosss
    Free Member

Had a few rides on my Evil Following now. I’ve never ridden a bike that climbs as well as this, the thing is so stiff and covers miles like nothing else i’ve ridden. I was only 15 seconds slower on a 4 minute rough decent at Cwmcarn in the wet on it vs my Capra in the dry too which is pretty impressive in my books…

It’s obviously the issues are well spoken for not that I’ve seen any of them. The price may be another issue, you’re more than welcome to try mine out

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The alu evo version. Obviously they are all evo geometry now so the tag has gone. I demoed a lot of bikes and this always came out on top for me.

chestrockwell

Orange Segment? Good review of the current one over on pink bike and sunset mtb are knocking out the current frame in 2016 spec with a decent discount.

jonnyrockymountain

29er fuel ex

rOcKeTdOg

If you want a whyte t-130 I know where there’s a 2015 one, brand new, going cheap

sprocker
    Free Member

I have a camber evo in 29 and it’s a great bike. Quick on pretty much everything and loads of fun, much prefer it to the 160mm enduro wagon I had before. I ride it in the peak and will be taking it to Wales, Scotland etc. I do get through the travel but never really want anymore. I do have the forks at 130.

pigyn
    Free Member

How tall are you? We have a medium Smuggler ex demo up for sale. Second hand pricing but treat it as new, only had a handful of rides and we cover the warranty 😛

Not up online yet but pictures and pricing on the facebook if you scroll down a bit..

Facebook – PedalsBikeCare

scandal42
    Free Member

Do people actually read the OP?

rOcKeTdOg

Oops, yes T-130 is 27.5″ although he did say “different” ideas

dickie
    Free Member

I’m after a low travel 29er that is happy on most things and a bit of thought about climbing has gone into it. Best bike I’ve seen that fits the bill so far is the Spesh Camber.
    Is there anything else I should be looking at that I may not have thought of? Probably no more than about 130mm.

Yes, the Pivot 429 Carbon Trail.
    XC, trail, enduro, 116mm rear/130mm front, DW link, 29er wheels or 27.5+

snotrag

Anyone know of any other 29er trail bike bargains out there? I’m hovering over a Boardman because of the ridiculous value at £1200, but I really still fancy 29″ wheels.

The Camber Comp 29er at £1500 is the best alternative I can find, need to be quick on both as stock running out.

£1500 max please.

Specialized Camber Comp 29 review

chrisdw
    Free Member

It’s a good looking bike isn’t it. The camber.
    I’d have to put a dropper on it straight away though.

I was really keen on the T129 until I read that the biggest tyre that would fit in the back is 2.2 which is probay fine. I just don’t want to be limited.

Pigyn. If that was a Large would have driven up today! I’m about 6′ but like a big bike. My Nukeproof is an XL and my mondraker is crazy long.

The new Fuel EX is a very nice looking bike. Not massively keen on the need to have that weird bump stop headset.

Segment isn’t a bad idea. Haven’t ridden single pivot in ages. Might need to go do some test rides!

Dansk1

Recommend what you’ve got? New T129 has wider rear and rims so can take regular width tyres. Long, low and fast. Very happy with mine so far.

mark_rich
    Free Member

I may have a 2013 stumpy expert evo carbon 29er frame coming up for sale if it’s of interest.
    Full new enduro bearing set and BB.
    Had it from new.

Clink

I recently got a Camber carbon comp in the sale – very impressed so far.

TheGingerOne

Really impressed by my Kona Hei Hei DL Trail – the 2017 Hei Hei range has been expanded nicely too

simonb
    Free Member

Orbea Occam TR, Choose this over a Camber and T129, very happy with it.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘New 29er. Any different ideas?’ is closed to new replies.