Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New 26'' Steel HT or other?
  • letmetalktomark

I currently have my 99 Caldera built up as so:

Reba Teams set at 90mm, XT/XO drive chain, Hope Hoops.

I’ve owned the frame since 1998 and its served me well and coped admirably with the huge number of builds its been through.

Its current build is basically what came off of my Soul when I split that some time ago.

I don’t really use the bike as I find it now to be a it small compared with the 29ers I ride. Whilst this is a 19” (they only made one larger and I already have one of those in unfettled form) its only 16.5” CtoC ST and a 22.5” TT.

So here it is … Do I re build the parts into a new frame and if so what or leave it as is and ride occasionally?

letmetalktomark

If I split and re used the components I would either retire the frame or rebuild it like this with a spare Alfine 29er wheel for pootling.

thepodge
    Free Member

I wish my old Kona was in such a nice condition, it’d be my go to bike if it was

letmetalktomark

Anyone?

somouk
    Free Member

Would you ride another 26″ hardtail if you had one? Sounds as though you have a 29er which you would ride more.

I’d be more inclined to rebuild the parts in to a 26″ full suss frame if you don’t have a bouncer knocking around.

NormalMan

I kind of know where you are coming from here – not sure that it’ll help though!

I’m always looking for a modern twist on this old Fisher that I have had since 1990:

It has been in every guise from stock, through to flexstem, gripshift, bar ends you name it and now singlespeed. It needs a good overhaul of the headset and bb now!

Anyway, my ‘modern’ bikes I have owned over the past few years just don’t have the same ‘buzz’ and I did try a modern steel Kona a few years back (a Blink but it weighed nigh on 34lbs!) and then I’ve done the FS thing.

My main ‘go to’ bike has been a XC 29er HT, which has been good but I was nearer the lower end of the size chart for that frame size and it feels a bit bigger than I’d like for when things get techy but overall it has been a positive ownership – similar in some way to another (now dead) old Fisher (alu not steel) I had – picture you say? oh go on then:

Anyway, after much deliberation and question asking, I have ordered a Cotic Solaris.
    The aim is it will tick the steel box along with the big wheel feeling that I miss when riding another wheel size*.

*sorry but that is true!

PJM1974
    Free Member

You’ve got to love a steel hardtail…

Thanks to Binners from these pastures, I’m currently rebuilding up my Orange Pure 7 that’s had a spruce up. I’d originally built it as my winter hack bike with a strict curfew on anything posher than Deore and a set of old Pikes I had languishing at the back of the shed.

The Pikes have had a comprehensive crown and lower respray, the frame has been treated to a powder coat – thanks Binners – and Hope/XT kit is slowly being added. It’s going to be another couple of weeks before it’s finished, but I can’t wait.

Anyway, back to the original thread…keep the Kona, build it up with Retrobike components and hang it on your living room wall.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New 26'' Steel HT or other?’ is closed to new replies.