Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Never Thought It Would Happen To Me…Scammed!!
  • nwill1
    Free Member

I know I’m gona get blasted but I’ve been scammed online…

Pulled the trigger on a branded coat from an ‘Outlet’ site only to realise things weren’t adding up, transpires it’s a super dodgy site selling fakes from China, paid on Debit Card so guessing I’ve been well and truly sitched up

Any advice on rectifying the issues?

dknwhy

I think visa debit offers the same protection as using a credit card. Speak to your bank and hopefully they’ll be able to refund you.

Edit: info here

nwill1
    Free Member

I reported to my bank immediately, they’ve blocked my card and noted the transaction as disputed, I’ve sent emails and messages to cancel the order although this is not going to happen.

It was a visa debit and I’ve read up about chargebacks, first off I need to see of the goods arrive or not, if so prove they’re fake (the brand on question will do this) then try to claim…fingers crossed!

k-sugden
    Free Member

If its the same wax jacket site I fell for they send the goods tracked by China post, but Royal Mail do not record the delivery so they can’t prove it was delivered. I later got a genuine one in the sales.

nwill1
    Free Member

Thank you DKNWHY had s good read very useful.

K-Sugden – sounds like the same site…can you let me know how you sorted it? If you don’t want to post please feel free to email me on nwill1 at ymail dot com. Stupidly I paid by Debit Card instead of Credit Card.

I’ve been suckered due to over confidence by some many positive transactions online…my guard is now well and truly back up!!

teasel
    Free Member

For future reference it’s always worth running the address through a whois type site before purchase. Takes seconds. It’s not a fail safe but it’s made me back out a few times.

WOT is another good add-on for your browser. It can ‘capture’ a lot of the well known dodgy gits.

My apologies if there’s any egg sucking going on…

nwill1
    Free Member

No, it’s fine…it’s so not like me but the site looks so legit, granted I did not look at the finer details but it was so convincing I was caught off guard, nothing prompted me to investigate until I’d paid…Arhhhhhh!

teasel
    Free Member

It happens.

Here you go…

Web Of Trust

Stopped a few dodgy pages and redirects for me. It’s quite useful.

Edit : I’m interested to see of it traps the site you visited.

Edit 2 : It doesn’t! 🙂

PePPeR

I’ve had to use the debit card chargeback process for £2600 over a vehicle recently. Make sure you talk to the company about the fact it is fake first and try all procedures you can before going down the chargeback route.

Make sure you keep copies of all your correspondence and I even sent copies of my phone bills in showing the number of times I had contacted the company.

But above all you have to exhaust all other means of getting your money back before trying the chargeback process.

Good luck with it.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Which site?

My other half was about to buy a Barbour jacket from barbourhotsale.co.uk but I smelt a rat.

Matt.

totalshell

no you dont.. you simply write to your bank and say.. it wasnt me.. end of. i know i was working for a business where we had 2k a week of chargebacks for no reason whatsover and had no course of action..

nwill1
    Free Member

http://www.barbouroutlets.co.uk

On the Barbour website it says that there should be no other website selling Barbour with Barbour in the domain but theirs (official one obviously!)

Thing is the coat was £149, it was cheaper elsewhere including ASOS (£100) but was out of stock at cheaper outlets!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Divine comeuppance for this;

Pulled the trigger

😉 Sorry you got scammed, mind you.

nwill1
    Free Member

Totalshell…this has been my tack so far, the site is .co.uk there is no mention of China, to my mind I have not authorised a transaction in China!

I have informed the bank there is a fraudulent transaction on my account, the only transaction is £160.84 from some random in China…let’s see the merchant prove authorisation…there was no varieties by visa…that’s what alerted me!

teasel
    Free Member

barbouroutlets.co.uk

Registrant

shanghai, shanghai 21000

source : http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/barbouroutlets.co.uk

nwill1
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart…I will be doing everything in my power to attempt to avoid the losses although I appreciate it may take time!!

mattrgee
    Free Member

Thing is the coat was £149, it was cheaper elsewhere including ASOS (£100) but was out of stock at cheaper outlets!

Sounds very similar, had all the sizes of the particular coat in stock and was cheaper.

I’m always suspicious if there’s no physical address or phone number listed. In the event of there being a problem who are you going to call or send the boys round to?

nwill1
    Free Member

Teasel…thank you that is confirmation of what is already worked out (I’m genuinely not being sarcastic there)

nwill1
    Free Member

Mattrgee…it seemed so legit I didn’t even look for one, like I said over confidence is to blame, complacency…I thought I’d spot a dodgy website a mile off!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Unlucky mate. It’s a convincing looking site at first glance, but the offer in the banner in dollars despite being a UK site would set alarm bells ringing. The about us pages also all mention Vogue bags and Louis Vuittonm not Barbour. Not helpful now I know, but hope you get your cash back.

nwill1
    Free Member

You know….I never even clocked the $500 thing, I saw it and read it as £500. You read what you think you see!

Didn’t read the about us page was so gone with the site and just assumed it was genuine, totally off guard.

(Yes I know Assume makes an Ass out of u and me!)

nwill1
    Free Member

UPDATE…I am hoping not to get to a stage where banks and chargebacks are needed, I emailed immediately asking to cancel the order and they have said that I need to pay 5% fees that they incurred, despite the fact I don’t believe them about said fees at less that £20 I’ll accept the losses and call that it a relative cheap lesson…providing I get the refund.

To be continued…

xtcenduro
    Free Member

I suspect that you would of received an item but it would be a fake, my sister got done with a similar thing.

mattrgee
    Free Member

UPDATE…I am hoping not to get to a stage where banks and chargebacks are needed, I emailed immediately asking to cancel the order and they have said that I need to pay 5% fees that they incurred, despite the fact I don’t believe them about said fees at less that £20 I’ll accept the losses and call that it a relative cheap lesson…providing I get the refund.

I’d anticipate you card being cloned and some additional dodgy transactions etc.

nwill1
    Free Member

I blocked the card immediately, when speaking to the bank to block the card they informed me that amounts could still be credited to the card…

EDIT: In all fairness further research suggests that thy are a ‘legitimate’ counterfeit company…what looks like their sister company appear to have been trading for some time boasting that their counterfeit bags are the best hense why they have been in business sooo long whilst others come and go! This I feel is be backed up by the fact they’ve actually responded to my request to cancel the order (all be it they’re requesting 5% retainer)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Never Thought It Would Happen To Me…Scammed!!’ is closed to new replies.