Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Never thought it would come to this – what car
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Another what car thread ugh, sorry.

We’re in a postion where my car and the missus’s car are getting pretty old and reliability is becoming a problem. Her car inparticular is suffering a new fault every month or so: central locking broken, exhaust maifold cracked, intermittent electrical issues plus various other bits and bobs. It’s 9 years old to be fair.

We want a family sized car, can take towbar, room for camping and biking gear etc. It will be are main car for doing longer motor trips but I estimate annual milleage to still be around 10k. I don’t want anything too old which is going to need loads spent on repairs etc as the other car will eventually need to be replaced as well. So something secondhand which will last us another 6+ years.

The thing is, I’m a tight arse and I’m struggling to get my head around spending anymore than £6k.

Any suggestions? Either specific cars or ones to avoid / look out for?

Muchos.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Mondeo ? e.g. Mondeo 2008

and I suppose someone will say it so it may as well be me… Skoda Octavia?
    2010 Octavia

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m in a similar(ish) position to you, have been on the hunt now for a while, but not too seriously as I’ve still got my Legacy. Initially I was convinced I wanted a big diesel estate, because I wanted to retain some driving pleasure and prefer how estate cars look. But the more I think about it, the more I think an MPV would suit my needs better and allow me not to worry about my car or be precious about it.

Currently looking at Zafiras and Tourans.

globalti
    Free Member

There’s a good reason why more and more taxi firms are buying used Passats. They are spacious, economical and excellent on the motorway thanks to the long wheelbase. The B6 is a bit crude but does the job, go for a B7 if you can find one that’s been repping and has had its oil changes done to schedule. On the B6 look out for sawtooth wear on the inner edges of the rear tyres, which will be thrumming on smooth road surfaces.

sheeps

Weve got a VW Touran which has done everything your asking for. Currently up for sale as I’ve finally won the ‘we need a van’ argument with Mrs Sheeps.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/volkswagen/volkswagen-vw-touran-se-2.0-tdi-140-2006-56-silver-fsh-82k-7-seater-reduced-price-/1101854017

Sure price can be negotiated for STW!

trail_rat
    Free Member

8 year old golf apparently – thats a decent car.

sheeps

You’re not your… before the grammar police arrive!

cakefacesmallblock

Another fairly recent Skoda convert here. Superb estate ? Octavia on steroids. New, they are about £4k less than equivalent spec Passat. Very pleased with mine. 140ps 2.0 tdi ,burns less fuel than my old 1.9 105 ps Golf, which was rubbish.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Dacia Sandero?

(I’ll get my coat…)

globalti
    Free Member

Jeeze yes, my cycling buddy has just bought a new Superb estate with DSG, it’s mahoosive. Skoda must be aiming that one at the taxi market because the rear leg room is extreme.

But not for £6,000.

rOcKeTdOg

DSG?
    edit:posh way of saying automatic?

finishthat
    Free Member

Dacia Logan MCV ?

nuke

Depends to an extent how needy/greedy you are with regard boot space but I reckon a Roomster or Fabia estate would fit the bill. Personally I have two kids (9 & 12) but our car is mostly used for commuting/ferrying children around so the boot only gets used for dog walks; can’t see the point of having a huge boot for the 5% to 10% of journeys that would actually be needed so quite happy to have a smaller car then supplement with a roof box for those required journeys

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Saab’s?
    They look brilliant for the price.

cakefacesmallblock

Mitsumonkey.
    I have had a Saab too. A 2001 9-5 estate, a truly great car too. Not the most economical thing as it was a petrol and I understand some of the more recent TID are quite frugal.
    However we fairly recently had ( an 07 I think) 93 as one of the fleet at work. Something relatively minor, but specific to that car failed. Despite its generic GM motor .Getting a spare part, new was impossible.
    Don’t know if things have improved, or even if the brand has been relaunched ?

br
    Free Member

The thing is, I’m a tight arse and I’m struggling to get my head around spending anymore than £6k.

A couple of years ago I bought a diesel 5 y/o Vectra hatch auto with 50k on for £5k.

Does the job.

I’m sure equivalent cars are available now.

Passat – loads of decent ones for £6k

duncancallum

I’d also consider a kia.

What about a caddy maxi?

DSG?
    edit:posh way of saying automatic

Not really

Does a similar job, but via a different method to your usual auto.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Never thought it would come to this – what car’ is closed to new replies.