Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Need new SPD shoes, any recommendations?
  • argee

I’ve been wearing NW Celsius boots for a while now, with an old pair of Shimano M221 SPD’s being worn sparingly in other conditions, as they were dying over the last couple of years, and have now finally given up the ghost, so i’m looking at what’s on offer it seems everything has changed, and that Shimano have dozens of options that all look similar.

What i’m looking for is something pretty similar, i.e. with the strap and ratchet system, but also looking for something lightish and also capable of taking a bit of mud/wet conditions, which the 221s struggled with, what’s the best in relation to this type of thing, cost wise i’m not wanting to spend a fortune, but willing to spend a bit to get a nice reliable shoe that’ll hopefully last for years?

sillyoldman

Shimano XC50N – no mesh, has a ratchet closure and will take toe studs if you want them.

nickc

Sidi Dominators

expensive, but they last an age. I’ve had mine for 5 years now, and a good clean and (whisper) polish they come like new. Next pair of shoes will be another pair…..

tthew

I have a pair of these Diadora’s. They have no mesh on them at all, so whilst not waterproof they are definitely less prone to flooding than shoes with mesh panels, even better with a pair of Sealskins socks. Not sure if they do a version with a ratchet though.

argee

Sorry for the delayed reply, been away, but thanks for the recommendations, the Shimanos look like the favourites!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Need new SPD shoes, any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.