Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Narrowest tyre on 29er+ rim
  • velocipede
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a s/h Trek Stache 5 with 3″ Chupacabra tyres…..on Ringle MuleFut 50 rims

I was wondering what’s the narrower tyre I could get away with on the rims….I have a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 sitting in the garage – would that work or too optimistic?

I could try it but I don’t want to waste a load of Stans in the process!!

scottfitz
    Free Member

I could try it but I don’t want to wast a load of Stans in the process!!

You could try it without sealant first?!?

velocipede
    Free Member

I could try it but I don’t want to wast a load of Stans in the process!!
    You could try it without sealant first?!?

I know but I don’t want to waste the sealant that’s in there already……and get myself in a right mess!

fifeandy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put anything smaller than a 2.4 on a 50mm rim.

But more to the point why would you want to put a 2.1 on there? Especially a crossmark.

velocipede
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put anything smaller than a 2.4 on a 50mm rim.

But more to the point why would you want to put a 2.1 on there? Especially a crossmark.

Just wondering – got some long distance XC stuff to ride later in the year (Lakeland Monster for example) and thought something narrower would be good for that……might get some spare wheels a bit nearer the time with narrower rims just for that purpose if the 50mm rims won’t take it

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Surely a new saddle should be the priority

velocipede
    Free Member
    Stedlocks
    Free Member

Here’s mine with 2.4 conti mountain kings on…..but, unless it’s wet or slimy, the chupas are your best bet.
    They are not as slow as you think…..play with the pressures, to find that sweet spot.

asbrooks

@Stedlocks, your garage is far messier than mine.. I think I’ll show mrs asbrooks the picture and have a relaxing weekend..Thanks for posting 😀

velocipede
    Free Member

@Stedlocks – does it run OK tubeless with those Conti’s on there? No burping or anything?

That could work nicely for the Monster later this year……

molgrips
    Free Member

Stretch!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Why?
    The 3.0 Chupas will roll as quickly as a 2.4MKII

Only reason to go narrower is to put a proper XC race tyre on, or for mud (in which case the MKII’s would be good).

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Personally’ I wouldn’t bother with anything narrower than 3.25″ 😉

Stedlocks
    Free Member

That’s the tidy side! They run tubeless fine, but are no way near as plush as the chupas

I only put them on for some mud clearance and grip in the gloop….the chupas will try to kill you in the wet mud. I smashed my knee up when they went sideways with no warning…..none.

But in the dry, and with the pressure right, they grip like the proverbial to a blanket, yet roll fast. I’m normally within seconds on strava times compared to my salsa spearfish…..and that has a good few decent KOM’s!

Here is my workstation, where I do most of my fettling…..

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I think my bike room is on par with yours 😀

Stedlocks
    Free Member

My mate reckons I’m like mr trebus…. I don’t have to tunnel to get stuff yet, but it’s close!!

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

My mate has tried other tyres but gone back to the original. I would never move away from the Chupacabras, they’re superb and run really fast. They obviously slip about in the mud but they’re fairly predictable and a lot of fun.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

No offence fella, but they are not predictable, nor fun!
    In the dry they are spot on ( the bike was designed around them…they ought to be good!) but they clearly don’t have English mud around trek HQ! I love em, but hurt my knee very badly with an off at around 20 mph off road……..no warning, just went down faster than gravity. Not good

takisawa2

Just pump the Chupa’s up harder.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Narrowest tyre on 29er+ rim’ is closed to new replies.