Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Narrow dual ply tyres?
  • phutphutend

I’m fed up of putting tears in the sidewalls of my Maxxis tyres. Minions and Shorty EXOs.

So what other options are there, even dual plies, for me. The main requirement is that they aren’t too wide. I really don’t want anything more than 2.35 Maxxis. But every one seems to want their tyres to be big. I don’t!

Secondary requirement us good tread and soft rubber.

So, what you got?

xyeti
    Free Member

I went through a few EXO Max Terra casings last year as they were just so fragile, just replaced my HR2’s with Spesh butcher front slaughter rear, rear one has reinforced sidewalls I didn’t bother with the front, most folk on here seemed to recommend them and they weren’t wrong.

Northwind

Grid seems tougher than most Exos (exo varies depending on how hard use the tyre is) but I don’t think any of them will come in your size… Same with skwablly supergravity.

Maxxis do some narrow dualplies but not a very full range. Their USTs are sometimes basiclaly slightly lighter dh tyres.

Might be a daft question, but why so narrow? If you go dualply it’ll be heavy regardless of width and it doesn’t do much to rolling resistance either to go up to a genuine 2.3

benpinnick

Maxxis Agressor DD – Small for a 2.3.

Butcher/Purgatory Grid 2.3’s

The Purgatory for the rear comes up narrower than the Buthcher for the front (at least it does in the Control version)

chakaping
    Free Member

What wheel size are you looking at?

Wtb trail boss tough/fast in 2.25 would be a good rear, if in comes in whatever wheel size you need.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Wtb trail boss tough/fast in 2.25 would be a good rear, if in comes in whatever wheel size you need

I’ve just fitted one of these in 29er size. It comes up a little bit narrower than a 2.3 DHR2 Minion and the Tough casing feels, well…tough.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes it’s a step up from exo/grid/snakeskin for sure.

Weirdly Go Outdoors might have the best price in 650b at the mo…
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/wtb-trail-boss-tyre-p329372?gclid=Cj0KEQjwyum6BRDQ-9jU4PSVxf8BEiQAu1AHqrQ56YwpiZEoWNepz1UbNYnLfW3CSt8f8yrept5PGJIaApEw8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

phutphutend

Thanks peeps.

I like narrow tyres for historic reasons. And confidence makes you go fast!

I think I’ll try some Spesh. Butchers/Purgatory. I’ve had their tyres in the past and have been impressed. Perhaps a grid up front, DH on the back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Narrow dual ply tyres?’ is closed to new replies.