Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Naff Lynx ad content – Anyone else here love 60s garage psychedelic music?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone else on here likes 60s west coast garage Psychedelic music. Curently on a ‘Orrid smelly Lynx male body spray Ad.

The Seeds

The Seeds, The Standells, Electric Prunes, 13th Floor Elevators, The Chocolate Watch Band, etc etc.

Or is it just me?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ll see your seeds and raise you the considerably more powerful

The Sonics

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Nice, one hit wonders, The Music Machine:

The Music Machine

roper
    Free Member

OOh, good thread.

I have a bit of a thing for The Monks at the moment.

There are a few clips on YouTube

[list]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5iI0__9S1c[/list]

[list]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5iI0__9S1c[/list]

Dudie
    Free Member

Big fan of that stuff. Also check out:

The Misunderstood:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8wg_eEQ4_4

Moby Grape:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_FlNwQlBmU

The Fire Escape:

13thfloormonk

13th floor Elevators you say? 8)

If you like the elevators check out the Black Angels (current) who are a lot heavier but still show their influence on some tracks.

The Monks are fantastic, i saw a clip of them playing some really dirty distorted guitar, WAAAAY ahead of their time.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The heavier the better for me, being an ex-punk.

Yes, a BIG Elevators fan. The Psychedelic Sound of… is one of my all time albumns. I’ve got loads of stuff on vinyl bought in the late 1980s (I got into it around the time of the Madchester summer of love revival thing happened). Got really into the Elevators as bands like Primal Scream and Spacemen 3 started covering their stuff. I’ve got some rare Chocolate Watch Band LP and lots of other mostly west coast garage stuff. In the last few years I’ve started reviving my interest and replacing LPs with CDs

Never really found much UK stuff that I’ve really liked other than earlier bands who influenced the west coasters, The Animals, Them, Yardbirds etc
    Here’s one of the UK Freakbeat band that I like:

Wimple Winch

Chase
    Free Member

Tontos Expanding Head Band / Zero Time – got this on vinyl. Very trip out album…… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJCa7dIWwvk

Cheeky – you might like this then…..

I’ll do you a copy if you want.

Chase
    Free Member

Going off on a tangent a bit here, but another music subculture that I really got into is Krautrock. Bands like Ash Ra Temple, The Cosmic Jokers, Amon Duul II, Klaus Schulze, Faust……and many others.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Had an album by the elevators once – sadly made a better ashtray – just could not get on with it – more in to the Cantabury bands – Gong et al

johnhoo
    Free Member

c’mon admit it – they’re all out-takes from Spinal Tap, aren’t they?

Slacks
    Free Member

From memory the nuggets box set might suit. My house mates at university spent a lot of time listening to it whilst engaging in dubious hobbies.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yep, I have Nuggets LPs

Chase, I wondered if you might be into this sort of stuff with your Pink Floyd quote on SingletrAction.

Another UK band I liked on Nuggets
    The Open Mind

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hey, John Goth boy, the link is natural for you, The Cramps were massively influenced by 60s garage stuff. Weren’t you also into The Doors and The Velvet Underground?. I was.

andrew
    Free Member

The Born Bad series did a pretty good job at cataloguing the Cramps direct influences (hooks that Ivy used, songs they covered, songs they combined). I’ve loved 60s punk and psychedelia for well, jeez, 25 years or so now directly because of the Cramps and the 80s neo-psychedelia (Plasticland, TellTale Hearts, etc).

Check out Ugly Things – currently one of the best mags on this kind of stuff (although I don’t share their love of late 70s power pop). And also check out the 60s Comp Database link. Nuggets was just a starting point. Over the years people unearthed many seriously unhinged bits of vinyl.

You might also like to checkout the late 80s/early 90s Liverpool psych band Walkingseeds, esp. their ‘Upwind of Disaster, Downwind of Atonement’ album for one the better latter stabs at postpunk garage/psych. ‘Louie, Louie, Louie’ is stunning 🙂

andrew
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I was busy putting my Beatle boots and getting ready for work earlier and forget to mention: garage punk dot com

andrew
    Free Member

Oh yeah, everything’s not going to be alright this morning… I forget the obligatory Youtube link. No video but a very cool song.

andrew
    Free Member
    MikeT-23
    Free Member

If you’re quick, and open to purchasing a different magazine from a different lifestyle segment, the current issue of MOJO magazine (with two covers featuring either Pete Townsend (sic?) or Roger Daltrey) has a free CD on the cover, entitled I Can SeE For Miles, and is dedicated solely to the sounds of which you speak – 60s psychedelic garage !!!! How timely is that?

I bought it yesterday, as there is always at least three great tracks on the MOJO CDs and it’s also and education, I find, about genres I may not have explored before.
    Go on, get one. ‘Tis not even £4, and there might be a belter on there you’ve not heard afore!

MikeT-23
    Free Member

…anyone buy it yet?

MrAgreeable

For fans of the Sonics and spikey 60s punk in general then the “Teenage Shutdown” series of comps on Crypt Records is great. Volume 1 is a blinder.

I reckon the US rules at the whole sneery garage rock with tinges of psychedelia thing, but for a UK effort this ain’t bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6VZOun1QuI

johnhoo
    Free Member

yeah I love The Doors. and Jimi. Never could get into the Velvet Underground though.

I started off at age 13 listening to SLF, The Undertones etc, then added The Damned, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Clash, Killing Joke, Bauhaus to my collection as the band I was in at the time developed. I never “got” The Ramones either

Then I went to uni & caught The Southern Death Cult, New Model Army, Skeletal Family in their early days – ’82 onwards. From that list you can probably tell where I went to uni.

Then the Sisters, Play Dead etc, all the early-mid 80s stuff up until the Nephs. Then in 1990 I quit the band I was in & sort of stopped listening to much new music.

The Cramps were ok for me but I was never a huge fan. Sad to see the passing of wossisname recently. The band I quit in 1990 did do a mean Goo Goo Muck though 😉

andrew
    Free Member

the “Teenage Shutdown” series of comps on Crypt Records is great.

Their earlier series Back from the Grave was pretty cool for pre-67 sounds. I had a bunch of the first, limited vinyl issue of these and a load of other 80s comps and i gave a lot of them away in various fits of hippy madness. As far as I can work out I gave away the equivalent of a mid-life crisis bike’s worth of vinyl. D’oh!

Anyway: more acid punk than garage punk but today’s dose: Dirty Filthy Mud

andrew
    Free Member

And why not one more piece of acid-inspired genius? (If you like songs to be recognisible as such then it kicks in after 1.30 – the preceding stuff is the ‘free form freakout’ featuring some 50 friends of the the Red Crayola tripping in the studio and ‘playing’ various improvised instruments. Things have been a little staid for the past couple of decades, eh?)

Oh yeah, the Elevators fans might want to check out another Texan band: The Golden Dawn

MrAgreeable

You can get all the Back From the Grave series again now, bit spotty as a whole, but some great stuff on each, and the liner notes are hilarious.

On a slight tangent, my sister’s organising a garage punk festival this July in Nottingham, she’s got the Oblivians (a later-day Crypt signing who channel the primal 60s garage thing very well indeed) and the Gories (Jack White’s favourite band) playing, among others.

http://blastoff-festival.co.uk/

andrew
    Free Member

Friday is an awesome line-up and never mind the Yanks, what about Armitage Shanks??!! 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

John Hooper Goth boy, You may or may not remember that I am from Bingley and 42. I was a reg at the 1:12 club for 2 years(3 Johns), saw the Southern Death Cult at the Warehouse ( I was 15/16), saw Sisters at Leeds Uni, went out breifly with Anne-Marie (a long long time after Skeletal Family, I met her in the Busfield Arms in East Morten about 15 years ago, my local). Saw Death Cult (the Beer Keller, Merion Centre 1984 I ws 16ish), the Cult, Flesh For LuLu, saw NMA at Bingley Little Theatre at some benifit gig in 1983ish, probably for the miners but I don’t recall, blah blah blah, you and me have been thru this all before in previous posts.

johnhoo
    Free Member

you must be using a different username then; it all rings bells… 🙂

You may well have seen me play if you were around in those days. Seven Dead Americans 1986-1990

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Naff Lynx ad content – Anyone else here love 60s garage psychedelic music?’ is closed to new replies.