Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • n00b time – QR Skewers
  • daleftw
    Free Member

I have no idea when it comes to wheels and hubs and the like, they scare me.

Was wondering – I have an old bike that is currently not being used due to one of the QR skewers being knackered. It’s just a cheapy one, but was thinking, could I buy a set of Hopes for my current ride (Which has Shimano hubs) and move the Shimano QRs down to the old bike?

And for bonus n00b points – Do I need to grease them before I put them in or anything?

druidh
    Free Member

They are interchangeable.
    A light application of grease is a good idea.
    FWIW, Shimano make the best, forget the bling.

hounslow
    Free Member

QR skewers should be all around the same length (for respective ends obviously). You would be better off buying some more Shimano skewers as the enclosed cam mechanism holds more securely.
    I always put a smear of grease on the skewer, probably more of a placebo but it can’t hurt against seizing.

daleftw
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for your help guys. Do Shimano only do XTR and Dura Ace QRs?

jonba
    Free Member

ALl front QR are the same but road are a different length to mtb on the rear.

You could buy hope for bling on yours and put the shimano on the other, I do that sort of thing all the time.

Alternatively superstar components or planet x may offer some cheaper colourful alternatives to hope.

You won’t beat a shimano QR skewer though, they are well designed and secure unlike some cheap alternatives. Stay away from light weight ones if you are nervous. I have Ti ones on my road bike but fear of death means they never go on my mtb. Probably unfounded but hey.

jonba
    Free Member

I think the entire shimano range is the same? It’s hard to find aftermarket deores though as peopel like the xtr badge

try google, I’ve managed before.

http://www.justridingalong.com/deore-lx-qr-skewers.html?___store=default

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Shimano FTW

lizzz
    Free Member
    daleftw
    Free Member

lizzz – Those are the ones I have on my Cannondale. For that price though – Am I missing something? If you only buy one on that site it’s £13.99 each?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘n00b time – QR Skewers’ is closed to new replies.