Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • My Nomad needs a diet, please help.
  • cpon
    Free Member

Hi everyone, new to this forum and starting off with a question.

I've currently got a 07 Santa Cruz Nomad which having owned from new I've loved.

But recently I've got a road bike and now every time I get back out on the mtb I realise how heavy it is.

It tops the scales at 39-40lbs.

Spec is large frame, fox float rear shock, pike dual air fork, mavic rims with xt/hope pro II hubs, kenda nevegal 2.35, juicy 5's, lx chainset, shifters with xt rear mech, dmr v10, wtb laser saddle and raceface evolve bars stem and post.

I tried an 07 Orange 5 (S) at the weekend which had fairly similar standard of kit on but weighed in at 30lbs.

I thought my frame and shock was 7ish lbs compared with around 6ish for the Orange – so my question is where can I shed some weight. I'm not looking to get it to 30lbs but under 35 would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

C

Haribo
    Free Member

new frame 😉

will
    Free Member

That is heavy, thought mine was bad at 34lbs, and that is with Domains, silly heavy DH tubes and High Rollers, and run of the mill XT and Deore kit…

You bolted some lead onto your bike? Perhaps post a picture up, so we can evaluate.

nickc

What he said

nicks
    Free Member

lighter tyres will make her feel a bit faster …… maybe change the pikes to something lighter …..

or buy an xc bike 😛

cpon
    Free Member

Here you are Will.

C

DustyLilac
    Free Member

maybe change the pikes to something lighter

I'd say a Nomad's under-forked with Pikes, it deserves Lyrics or 36s

cyclelife
    Free Member

My 09 Nomad weighs 31 lbs (accurate) with coil 36's, Ti DHX 5 but loads of XO, Thomson, Sunline and DT wheels etc.

Could have got it under 30 with air shock and forks but prefer feel and reliability of coils.

will
    Free Member

Looking at the picture i'd say:

– Bars
    – Stem
    – Seat Post
    – Wheels? (what are they?)
    – Tyres

As I said my bike (Felt Redemption 2) is Heavy, it is also a large, with silly heavy Rock Shox Domain forks. I would have said you are under forked (As Lilac said) How you have gained the extra weight i don't know…

Think main thing, as suggested would be tyres and wheels…

Or, stop moaning 😉

cpon
    Free Member

I'd say a Nomad's under-forked with Pikes, it deserves Lyrics or 36s

I agree, I've always wanted some 36 Vans for it but won't help to make it any lighter.

It's possible the scales weren't correct when I weighed it but it still is pretty heavy.

What are the lightest decent 2.3 tyre around at the moment?

C

cpon
    Free Member

will – Member
    Looking at the picture i'd say:

– Bars
    – Stem
    – Seat Post
    – Wheels? (what are they?)
    – Tyres

As I said my bike (Felt Redemption 2) is Heavy, it is also a large, with silly heavy Rock Shox Domain forks. I would have said you are under forked (As Lilac said) How you have gained the extra weight i don't know…

Think main thing, as suggested would be tyres and wheels…

Or, stop moaning

Wheels – I think (without going out to check) are Mavic 117 rims with Hope Pro II up front and XT hub at the back. Not moaning really, I was just a bit shocked when I weighed it, I always assumed it was lighter – around 34lbs.

C

nickc

They're heavy bikes TBH.

will
    Free Member

Was only joking about the moaning. I'm always a little upset about the weight of mine, but then as soon as i'm going downhill i love it again.

Swaping forks may improve weight if there basic Pikes? Aslo from wheels spec i doubt it;s the wheels. I'd use another set of scales pal.

unsponsored
    Free Member

The wheels are where you can lose some weight. Are you using DH tubes?

cpon
    Free Member

The wheels are where you can lose some weight. Are you using DH tubes?

I just use Halfords basic ones. I need some new tyres so I'll get some decent tubes with them too.

C

midlifecrashes

I lost over a pound on wheels switching from Conti Verts to Nobby Nics and slightly lighter (not silly) tubes. Probably the cheapest way to start. Bars, if yours are the Evolve DH, that's 350g, plenty of carbon ones around 150g, nearly another half pound. Between post and stem you could maybe find another half. Pedals a quarter to half a pound with Wellgo mags. Must be close to 100g to find in the saddle.

will
    Free Member

Guess you have to start thinking if it would be beneficial, as the money you will have to spend will be quick significant!

chilli
    Free Member

I reckon your scales are fooooked,my mates weighs 36lb and his has 36's a coil dhx5 and bigger rims!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Your scales are all wrong i think

Kramer
    Free Member

As mentioned in another thread, Nobby Nics are not at all durable.

devs
    Free Member

Mine's 33lbs with lyrics and 823s with 2.35 highrollers. As others have said, check the scales or take the seatpost out and tip it upside down to let out the water!!

Carps
    Free Member

I think you need new scales ! 40lb ? You must have filled the tubes with lead…

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Pike airs aren't the heaviest, 36s and Lyriks are significantly heavier.

Are you sure it's really THAT heavy? The build seems very similar to my own Marin 140 which tips the scales at 32lb right now.

The best bet is to feed in all the individual component weights into a spreadsheet and compare with some alternatives. Losing 100g on a handlebar for £75 is less effective than switching to lighter tubeless tyres and a Stans kit. As for wheels, the 117 rim is pretty light, you'll only gain weight at the rims, so maybe a change of rubber will help mitigate that.

Oh, and pedals… Might be an idea to switch to lightweight clipless to save 1/2 a pound.

lock
    Free Member

how much do you wanna spend,

the weight you have read might av been a medium frame,

get some lighter wheels and tyres and go tubless,im loving the specialzed eskars very grippy and light ,you can keep the older wheels if your going somewhere like the alps or a bit of downhilling

chrisd
    Free Member

The scales are probably rubbish. Using the 'weigh yourself with and without your bike and subtract the two' method I get vastly different readings when it's me (lightish) or my dad (heavyer) holding the bike.

I've given up on that and just made a spreadsheet with all the bits on it that added them all up.

njee20
    Free Member

I've given up on that and just made a spreadsheet with all the bits on it that added them all up.

That's never even close! Add 10% for accuracy I reckon!

taka
    Free Member

is your frame solid aluminium? 😯 or lead lined 🙄

fozzybear
    Free Member

no way is that 39-40!

mine is a newer frame so nearly 1lb lighter but i have coil forks and coil shock (Ti spring) and tubeless 819 on HR kevlar 2.35 i have hone cranks (not the steel insert ones) but light bash guard and pro 2 aren't the lightest wheels still under 33lbs

Onzadog
    Free Member

£20 bathroom scales on carpet by any chance? If it is the scales, chanes are you'll have a very happy other half if you change them. "Look darling, I've lost 5 lbs"

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘My Nomad needs a diet, please help.’ is closed to new replies.