Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • My first XC race
  • dodge1302
    Free Member

Well having done a lot of road racing and recently been riding the MTB a lot more I thought I’d have a crack at MTB racing. So I headed to Fforest Farm near Builth Wells for the 4th round of the Welsh MTB Series.

It didn’t exactly go all that well. Hats off to anyone who races MTB, in my opinion the fitness level is significantly higher than that for road racing (which is saying something).

Also I found the technical ability needed was significantly higher than my ability. I’ve tended to limit my riding recently to trail centres, e.g. Cwmcarn, but I found that this did not really prepare me for some of the technical sections and drop-offs on the course.

As it was I crashed on the 1st lap and have suspected cracked ribs! Doh! Sore all over and feel like a total fool!

My initial reaction was to say never again. However, I’m not a quitter and don’t intend it to get the better of me so my thoughts at present are to train more and potentially look to enrol on a skills course (since I’ve never actually been told/shown) how to handle technical sections etc.

I’d be interested to hear from others experiences with XC racing and also whether you’d suggest a skills session would be a worthwhile activity.

rp16v
    Free Member

i did my first 2 events last year and fully enjoy it ony gripe i have come across is some of the higher end whipets were abit stuck up and not willing to talk and quite arogant on the trails try a couple of lower rent races will be at a lower pace and less pressure.

as for thr training best thing to do is just ride more without stoping but also vary the routs so your not always training on the same stuff.

amt27
    Free Member

Hi dodge, I did this event, Masters (5 laps). I am more of an endurance racer and did this as a bit of training.
    It was quite a tough course, I found the combination of off-camber/roots/lose dirt, towards the end of the lap, quite unpredictable and constantly lost time I had gained on the climbs. I wouldn’t be too disheartened if this is your first race.
    Personally I much prefer endurance racing, as the more laps I do the more technically proficient I get at riding the tough bits. With a short race you have to be spot on from the start if you gunning for a good finish.
    I tend to watch others and follow the lines the pro’s take, if your race is early in the day it might be worth hanging around and watching them. Also following the lead of other riders through technical sections can help as you tend to just flow with their line.
    Saying all that, I think I finished 5th, waiting for results.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Just done my first XC race today too.
    Did the Midland XC rd 2 at Birchall. It was a great course with very good singletrack and with a good A and B line choices
    Only did the “go race” as I thought 3 laps would be enough. I was right. Riding flat out took more out of me than I thought. Still I had a great time, came 5th and will be at round 3 (hanchurch woods) 😀

DenDennis
    Free Member

well done for getting into the racing side of MTB, dodge.
    Shame about the crash but you’ll be back for more no doubt!
    Did you do a practice lap? always good so that you’re not hitting tech stuff the first time a race speed.
    As you say its quite an eye-opener just how quick the top people are, both up and down, descending faster than most people who’d call themselves good at the downhills.
    Skills course deffo recommended- much quicker to learn from a good teacher than just putting your own practice in..

keavo
    Free Member

sounds like you need more time on the mtb. its just a different set of skills. i don’t really think mtbers are fitter than road racers, just more practiced at a different style of racing. i think i’d shit myself in a bunch of road racers and i have far more experience (past) at road racing.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk

get your entries in! first race 5th June

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘My first XC race’ is closed to new replies.