Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • My First New Build….
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

Finally managed to get my frame built up with every component carefully chosen without compromise.

I had a few issues along the way including the headset (still not quite right), gear indexing and linking the chain but got there in the end.

The only thing left to do now (other than ride the thing) is to sort out the seal on the botom headset cup (see http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-headset-seal-gap ) and shorthen the brake hoses but I’ll be doing this after I have taken it out for a quick spin up the road.

Full build is as follows:

Frame: Cotic Soul 26 (M)
    Groupset: Shimano XT Groupset
    Brakes: Shimano XT (with i-Spec adapter)
    B Bracket: Shimano XT
    Fork: 2012 Fox Float 32 RLC FIT (borrowed from Five)
    Headset: Hope Tapered Headset
    Wheelset: Hope Hoops (Mavic 717)
    Tyres: Continental X-King BC
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4 Stem
    H Bar: Thomson Carbon AM

I tried to get a few decent photos but there was poor light because of the weather so the banter will be expected!

Liftman

The rear wheel doesn’t look like it’s sitting central in the frame although it maybe the angel of the photo, also brake hoses need cut down, apart from that nice build.

Also where are your skirting boards 😕

bearnecessities

Someone’s nicked your skirting board.

Nice build indeed.

gogg
    Free Member

My first thought was where’s your skirting board, then you need some daylight bulbs very yellow lighting in that room.

Valves aren’t matched up, front wheel over ‘O’ rear wheel between ‘P & R’.

Turn your rear Q/R round?

What pedals? Nice pair of Black DMR Vaults I reckon.

Looks like a sweet ride.

plus-one

Nice retro build 😉

bikemanspen
    Free Member

That’s lovely mate I hope to do the same sort of build and you’ve chose a lot of the components I would!
    Do you mind me asking what it’s cost?

takisawa2

If it’s no good on the trails you could always lassoo some steers with it. 🙂

It’s green. It gets my vote.
    Some red hubs would look nice.

singlespeedstu

Who has a room with nothing in it?
    Or did you move all the shite into the garden before you took the pics? 😉

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The bike facing the corner pics are a little ‘Blair Witch’ for me.

timmys

Very good work.

– Obligatory “needs a dropper”

matther01
    Free Member

Very nice…almost as nice as my sold orange one (though not a fan of the stem).

Nice touch with the scoop colouring.

As per timmy…defo needs a dropper.

Debate as always with a Soul…is it better at 120 or 140 (especially with 32s)?

Nought wrong with the rear qr lever IMO. I used to always run my like that with no issue.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Thanks Liftman, never noticed that until pointed out.
    I’ve looked at but closely and it dies appear off centre to the right, not sure why.

The wheel is sitting where it should in the frame and us spinning true. Is there any chance I’ve set it wrong?

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Cheers guys, nice to get the feedback.

As for the dropper, I was going to use the Reverb on my Five until I realised it was the next size down. Really like the simplicity of the Thomson post and will be using it a lot for the xx rides.

Have to agree with the seat clamp. I think it looks better the other way round but apps tilt this is how it should sit. I’ve got it the other way round on the Five. Controversial.

There’s stuff in the room, just moved aside for the “Photo Shoot”. See my “Mancave” thread.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your garden sucks.

Nice bike, though!

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Ben, nice I would re route the rear brake hose so that it passes inside the stay rather than sitting outside it.
    Richard

racefaceec90

I LIKE THAT 8)

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Very nice, rear wheel wise check the dishing.

peter1979
    Free Member

Very nice build, wish mine was as good!

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Cheers Rich, I’ll do that.

For some reason, the wheel was off centre but is now sorted. It’s no wonder I had an issue indexing the gears with them feeling as though they were grinding away. Oh to be the novice.

Still, that’s tge whole reason for building my own bike, to learn to do things myself in irder to have fun, relax and gain knowledge.

Just managed a quick spin up the road. At 26.4 lbs it’s fast, very fast (at least compared to my Crush and Five).
    It wheelies nice and geometry feels very good.
    Can’t wait for a proper ride!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘My First New Build….’ is closed to new replies.