Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope Headset Seal Gap
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a Hope 1H tapered headset on my Soul but am wondering if the slight gap is normal or if it should be closed.

Considering its a seal, I’m guessing it should really be flush with the bottom cup.

The headset has been assembled correctly going by the Hope diagram with the chamfered edge facing in towards the bottom cup (I’ve tried the other way and it holds the fork out even further.

Do you think from the pic the seal should be sitting closer? Anyone had a similar issue with this?

Cheers guys.

bigjim

doesn’t look like mine, I have a tapered lower cup and the rubber seal fits inside the headset cup. Maybe you have a crown race from a different cup?

vmgscot

Mine sits inside as well so vote for possible incorrect crown race .. or bearing upside down?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrisdw
    Free Member

Looks like wrong crown race. The metal base is overhanging the crown quite a bit too.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Is the crown race seat on the forks a bigger diameter than it should be, forcing the Hope split crown race to be opened too wide?

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Not too sure what the problem is here. I’ll be taking it apart again and maybe look at refitting the crown race.

HermanShake
    Free Member

1.5 crown race with a 44mm lower cup? The 1.5 cup is bigger than the 44, so the seal fits as such.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Right. Taken it apart, again, tried the bearing both ways round and looked where the race crown would sit off the fork.
    The crown and seal fit in the exact same location with the gap remaining the same.

I’m baffled.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

I also have an integrated Hope headset on my 2012 Five and the crown/bottom seal (which I think are the same size as my new external headset) fit flush with the base of that cup.

Looks like it’ll be an email to Cotic as ordered the headset from them.

It must surely be a simple solution but I’ll get there in the end.

bigjim

is it definitely a tapered steerer frame? Width of the headset cup looks so much wider than the head tube, only got my ASR5 to compare but the head tube and headset cup are the same width, obviously this may mean completely nothing in relation to your bike.

timmys

is it definitely a tapered steerer frame? Width of the headset cup looks so much wider than the head tube, only got my ASR5 to compare but the head tube and headset cup are the same width, obviously this may mean completely nothing in relation to your bike.

It’s 44mm at the bottom which requires an external bottom cup for a tapered steerer. Looks similar to my bike with 44mm head tube – with the exception of whatever strangeness is going on with the crown race.

EDIT: Here’s what the same hardware looks like on my bike (not a soul), if that helps;

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Very helpful, thanks very much.
    Thought it should be looking like that.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

All sorted now after taking it all apart, twice!

The inner edge of the seal was sitting slightly wrong making the out edge sit lower and wider (exposing the crown race).

Cheers guys!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope Headset Seal Gap’ is closed to new replies.