Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • My first 2013 running thread
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve run 2 marathons, 3:36 and 3:30 (didn’t push myself very hard 2nd time, prob could have gone a bit faster).

1. Am I daft aiming for a sub 3:00 time on 16 weeks (3 sessions per week) training?
    2. Would I be daft to try phasing in flat shoes over these 16 weeks?

zilog6128

possibly you could do one or the other, not sure it’d be wise trying both!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Running. Ruuunnnning. Run. Ning. Um.

Nope, you lost me there. 😕

Rickos
    Free Member

Well, you might have gone quicker if you weren’t wearing your stilletos, so I’d say go for both.

leffeboy

Trying to make sure you can get away from dodgy dates? 🙂

I used to have a nice pc program that would answer that sort of question but it doesn’t seem to be around any more (RunCoach ). Shame as it worked really well and gave you a training program and times to follow to do it. Maybe something similar exists online now

Ro5ey
    Free Member

8min/miles to sub 7min/miles in 16 weeks… I think thats a big ask(in my very limited knowledge)

Check out the tritalk forum in the training sub-forum there’s a “sub 3 hour marathon” thread

Good luck

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

You’re not daft aiming for it. Whether you achieve it though is another matter. Sub 3 is a big step from 3.30. Good luck.
    My son has entered Manchester marathon which will be his first, he’s aiming for sub 3.30 which I think he should manage, he’s a fit lad but not been running long. He did Abbey dash (10k) in 37 mins. which was a fair effort for a first one.

Make sure you get your weekly long steady runs in 😉

tonyd

I’m no expert but would say:

1) No
    2) Probably.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta all, even Rick & Rickos (shakes fist)

I guess my Q is should I aim (i.e. base my training) around 3:00 (and risk injury?) or aim for 3:15. My programme suggests your marathon goal time is 30-35s slower than your fastest 10K speed, so I guess a 10K TT is what I need to do.

I’ll speak to my local running shop about Q2.

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

I have considered the same thing, but based on running 6 days a week. My first marathon last year was 3.29, and I saw good improvements at half and 10k. But speaking to faster runners it seemed like a massive jump. So I have started a plan for 3:10 thinking at a sub 3:15 I would be happy. All the paces on the plan seem doable on current form, but I think it’s just hard to gauge. I’m then going to try sub 3 later this year or next. As for going barefoot / changing your style, I think I’d do it out of training. I wouldn’t risk all that work

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta. My planned event is actually sold out 😐 so back to the drawing board!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘My first 2013 running thread’ is closed to new replies.