• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • My Charge Duster; old, abused but quick!
  • 13thfloormonk

Just as an antidote to all the pictures of clean/new/niche/pimp bikes that abound on the forum, may i present my 2 year old Charge Duster:

Like an old shoe, the bike seems to be getting better the more worn out it becomes. The current kit list is:

Charge Duster, 18″. Never been cleaned. Tough and stiff, with space for 2.4″ tyres at least. People on here have commented on these frames feeling lifeless, and while they don’t feel springy, wind the speed up in the roots and mud and the bike will not stop. Push the big ring through grassy tussocks and bumps and you will just motor through. I think the tyre clearance is that big for a reason, a friend commented on my bike feeling like “a cross country BMX” and he couldn’t be more right. I was even happy dropping the post an inch and riding the Mabie Darkside (i didn’t say i cleaned it!).

Rebas, worn and with loose bushings, working like a dream.

XT discs with sintered pads. Both levers move different amounts, and have masses of play, however i couldn’t want for better, quieter more reliable braking.

Octalink XTR cranks. Smooth, quiet, stiff and horribly scuffed. Shimano steel rings except the big ring, which is TA (and has lasted four times longer than the TA middle and granny that i destroyed).

Shimano Shifting. The LX mech has quietly got on with it for years now, while the XTR front mech was a revolution to me, front shifting should not be that rapid! New XT shifters have completed the setup, although occasionally i miss the more touchy feely shifint of my old deores.

Mavic 717s on Hope XCs. Lovingly handbuilt, although i’m a bit miffed to see cracks appearing around some of the eyelets. They have taken dogs abuse however.

Continental Slash on the rear, Maxxis ADvantage on the front. What a combo! Both ghetto tubeless and running slightly under 30p.s.i. The ADvantage grips everywhere, while the Slash is great in the mud, and acceptable on the hardpac. I finally understand what magazines mean by ‘predictable’ drift, as i’m spitting the back sideways for fun now, while the front tyre just sticks to the line.

Moots Post. Bent. But light and comfy (no really!)

Shiny new Ritchey WCS stem (because it isn’t a Thomson) Easton bars and Woodman bar ends (the crowing glory, over 8 years old now).

Lets see some more knackered but quick bikes please!

(and excuse the outpouring of enthusiasm, i’ve just had another weekend of excellent riding 🙂 )

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘My Charge Duster; old, abused but quick!’ is closed to new replies.