• This topic has 32 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by aP.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Musto or Rohan…
  • MartynS

what a first world problem I have…

We used to get Berghaus gear at work,, that’s been changed to either of the above.. so anyone got any recommendations for a fleece/waterproof jacket type combo. I know Musto is a real sailing type brand and Rohan is quite horsey, but what does the STW massive suggest!

househusband

Montane or Paramo..?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Musto are way beyond just the sailing these days. Good kit, too.

Rohan isn’t horsey, it’s ramberlistey. And that’s a bad thing. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d go with CFH. That boy knows his faux outdoor brands.

marcus7
    Free Member

Rohan, horsey?, you sure, I’ve gone right off Rohan to be honest and I don’t rate the current quality, I bought some keela scuffers at the weekend and they seem to be good so they may well be my new choice. To answer your question is try musto….not used em for years but they did seem tough.

iainc

I have quite a bit of Musto sailing kit and can’t fault it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lulz @ Al! 😉

If on budget, Columbia make some good stuff, but be sure to AVOID their Omni-heat stuff. It’s an utterlyshit* gimmick.

* New word. You heard it here first.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I knew you’d take it as a joke, it’s so ridiculous!

bigblackshed

Pair of Rohan walking boots. Very comfy and a good fit. BUT the toe protector has spilt and now let’s just enough water in to make my right big toe damp. Not impressed really. They were £30 from TK Maxx. So not the end of the world. If I’d paid the RRP of £130, different story.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I reckon tha M and R cater for quite different segments of the market (even though I have bits of both). What stuff are you looking for and for what reason?

sambob
    Free Member

My Musto Soft goods have been a bit rubbish, but my Coastal Jacket has been brilliant. Jackets good, hoodies etc less so. Very waterproof though, being boaty.

matt_outandabout

Musto FTW

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IMO both expensive for what they are, but I have bought quite a lot of musto stuff from their excellent outlet store at Bicester. Do you an allowance to spend or how does t work?

Slogo
    Free Member

What is it you do?

If its getting caught out in the wind and rain, you cant beat Musto Ive lots of their stuff and its great!

Basil

Have found Musto excellent for performance, but the tweedy look got old after a while.

ElShalimo

Btw: Rohan are rebranded Brasher shoes

Be careful with Rohan as it seems no two garments seem to be the same. The machinists must be on recreational drugs. To be fair they make technical outdoor/travel kit that looks like normal clothes. They’ve been thru lots of management changes recently but appear to be getting back to what they did well – making decent kit with some innovative ideas. They’re frequently having sales so if their stuff fits, it’s happy days

richmars

I’ve worn Rohan for a few years, (from when they had one shop in MK). Not cheap, but it works. Worth it if you’re miles from nowhere with one pair of shorts, or in the Himalayas at Christmas with your luggage lost somewhere in Russia. Nor really worth it otherwise (but I still like wearing it).

MrNero50
    Free Member

I’ve a Musto Lonnington and the girlfriend a Whisper. Both excellent and well worth the money.

drlex
    Free Member

[…]and Rohan is quite horsey […]

Only if you’re thinking LOTR.

Still have a number of pieces of Musto kit from sailing-obsessed past; good stuff, but beware the “lifestyle” products from the last few years.

wallop

I know nothing about Rohan, but back in my dinghy days wore a lot of Musto, it was great stuff. Their blouson jacket is a classic they’ve been producing for at least 20 years. I want another one!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

back in my dinghy days wore a lot of Musto, it was great stuff. Their blouson jacket is a classic they’ve been producing for at least 20 years. I want another one!

*High fives fellow retro-Musto-wearing-dinghy sailer!*

My Musto Snug is still going strong, after twenty plus years, with a Breezer head badge pin on the collar for added MTB retroawsumz*.

*even more awsumz because it was given to me by Joe himself. Lovely guy.

leeph
    Free Member

Been buying Rohan stuff for years – but noticeably poorer quality fabrics of recent…a couple of jumpers bought before Christmas already showing signs of pilling.

No history on musto kit,.,…but would be my preferred choice.

leeph
    Free Member

Been buying Rohan stuff for years – but noticeably poorer quality fabrics of recent…a couple of jumpers bought before Christmas already showing signs of pilling.

No history on musto kit,.,…but would be my preferred choice.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

:mrgreen: @ Al

ChrisA
    Free Member

My other half has a stack of musto horsey gear and I have a couple of fleeces, a jacket and a pair of boots. It’s all well made. it doesn’t get especially well looked after, but its lasting very well and It gets well used.

I’ve never tried any rohan kit, to compare it against.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I don’t rate the current quality

I’ve just had a right ding dong with the Rohan shop in Exeter, mum a 70 year old hill walker type knackered out a pair of Rohan/Brasher shoes in only 6 months of weekend towpath walks.

Lady in the shop called it wear and tear and suggested she should take them down to Timpson for a repair….several emails aback and forth with HQ on behalf of mother dear and they’ve just replaced the shoes.

Funny thing is I’ve got a 1970’s cotton smock handed down from my dad thats still going!

nbt

Of those two I’d go Musto, personally. Never worn either but Musto came from sailing and if they make clothes to keep you warm and dry when you’re sailing, then they should be great on land.

MartynS

Do you an allowance to spend or how does t work?

get what I want in terms of jacket, fleece, waterproof trousers..

What stuff are you looking for and for what reason?

We get protective clothing (waterproofs) from work and these are the approved suppliers

What is it you do?

If its getting caught out in the wind and rain, you cant beat Musto Ive lots of their stuff and its great!

Pretty much covers what I do.. ! Musto sems to be in the lead..!

Spongebob
    Free Member

What is this garment for?

Musto for me, but then I use mine on boats. They do keep you warm and dry, but not sure about breathability when you are really exerting yourself mine aren’t goretex, but a similar sort of PTFE thingy..

For cycling, I would go for something with big vents – chest zips, underarm zips, back vents. Lightweight and packable. Reflective bits and rollaway hood.

Rohan were big on trousers when I was into walking. They never appealed much, but the style has been copied by just about all outdoor clothing manufacturers.

Choose a tech garment for the application, not the brand. There are many high quality, but obscure brands, so be different and start a trend!

Good luck.

cozz
    Free Member

ive been buying rohan for 25 years used to be great, rmember when their only shop was milton keynes,

once they went all lifestyle it went tits up

although I love the winter bags, wear them about every day for work in colder months, they dont last they they used to, getting through a new pair most years

best garment was the olfio – smock type with front map pocket, stopped making it – so now use montane extreme smock

in fact just got a montane extreme jacket too, love their stuff

In my opinion rohan is losing out big time now

convert

best garment was the olfio – smock type with front map pocket, stopped making it

I had one too – in the same colours as in this photo. It went everywhere with me for years (80’s/early 90’s). Looking at it now though I’m not sure I’d want to be seen in public in it now!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Martyn, sounds as if Musto is indeed closer to your needs but I still think that waterproofs are heavily geared towards the sailing market and to a lesser extent shooting/riding. Have fun spending the money!

aP
    Free Member

Bought rohan since about 84/5 – was the only brand doing what they all do now back then.
    When Paul Howcroft was killed it became a rudderless meaningless brand. I haven’t bought anything from rohan since the late 90s – the sizing is rubbish, the cut is rubbish, the quality is rubbish, the shops are rubbish and the shop assistants the rudest and most ignorant outside of Abercrombie and Fitch.
    Just go somewhere else.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Musto or Rohan…’ is closed to new replies.