Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Music whilst swimming help
  • andyfla
    Free Member

OK, in a rash, foolish move over xmas I have agreed to partake in a triathlon in september with 2 of my sisters.

The running and the biking should be fine but I am about as good in a pool as an hydrophobic spider.

I am trying and starting to get there but it is soooo damn boring that I have decided I need music – obviously going in the pool with either a 6th gen nano or a iphone is a no go (water + electrics, etc ….but cases may work ?) does anyone have any ideas ?

Help as staring at the bottom of the pool is starting to seriously do my head in !

Cheers all

lemonysam
    Free Member

Aquapac MP3 case & headphones?

Mostly though, develop a more interesting inner monologue.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Swim and sing “I love horses” in your head.

andyfla
    Free Member

I think that could be the way forward, but struggling to think what is going to happen to headphone cable in the water, wont they slosh around ?

andyfla
    Free Member

the trouble is I now have that with a heavy metal beat running through it , and I will have it later in the pool later damn you !

Slogo
    Free Member

look for waterproof mp3 player on ebay/amazon.

sony

cynic-al
    Free Member

Insane!

You won’t hear teh klaxon telling you all “blue-band-wearers, your session is over”!

BikePawl
    Free Member

Music from the film Jaws on a continual loop to keep you motivated 😈

cp

If you need music, you’re not concentrating on the swim enough – focus on technique etc… and if you’re not sure what you should be looking out for, get some lessons and/or attend some technique sessions.

A bit of time spent on technique now will make your training sessions far more beneficial.

growinglad
    Free Member

No pretty girls to keep you “motivated”??

SamB
    Free Member

Agree with cp above – you shouldn’t need music, you should be concentrating on form. Especially if you’re still in the hydrophobic spider stage of swimming 🙂

For the record: I do listen to music when swimming. I use a waterproof’d iPod shuffle with short cord headphones – this one: http://waterfi.com/waterproof-ipod-shuffle
    However I only use this for long sets when I want to zone out – for tech swims I’m busy working on my stroke.

warton
    Free Member

when I was training for ironman i found being able to switch off and concentrate purely on my technique a godsend.

I honestly think if you’re finding it boring you’re not doing it right! A finely honed swimming technique is a beautiful thing, and will greatly improve your tri experience. ditch the music, and concentrate on your stroke is my advice.

MSP

I find with many things music to be a massive benefit, it can help me focus or relax into my “zen” place etc. So ignore the naysayers.

You can get “waterproofed” ipods, they coat the circuitry rather than trying to make it airtight, the technology has been around for years, it is a shame that it hasn’t been adopted into mainstream portable electronics.

http://waterfi.com/waterproof-ipod-shuffle

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterfi-Waterproofed-Waterproof-Headphones-Included/dp/B009LIPVMY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395753327&sr=8-1&keywords=waterfi

andyfla
    Free Member

Those are cool bits of kit, i wonder how expensive it is and why doesn’t apple, sony, etc do it as standard on everything ?

I am working on my stroke, with coaching , but still finding it boring

lapierrelady

I sympathise.I don’t use music myself, mostly because I swim early am so am not awake enough to feel bored. I have a friend who swears by it however, and uses one of these http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2013/07/waterproof_mp3.html?pic=4#gallery
    tucking all the wires into a swimming cap

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

wow, if i saw someone in the pool with an mp3 on i’d laugh. may as well go to the gym and watch mtv.

but it is soooo damn boring

then you are not swimming correctly. sorry.

you say you are no good in a pool, then learn to swim.

i too was useless, i thought i could swim and a coach took one look at me and said ‘you can’t swim.’ my 400 time at that pointy was well over 10mins. i remeber looking at the times of the pool swim club and i was around the slowest time listed for the 11 year old girls category.

4 years on and i’m down around 6m53 and still learning to swim. total immersion book from ebay for 4quid is my latest mantra.

so, if you are just hitting the pool and doing lengths no wonder you are bored. get a plan, have an aim. the beauty of just seeing the bottom of the pool is that it allows you to focus on exactly what you are doing in that moment, you are utterly free from distraction, floatation tank isolation almost, start learning to swim, you wont be bored.

andyfla
    Free Member

Then you are not swimming correctly. sorry

Almost certainly true, but I like listening to music, it motivates me, gets me going.

Maybe it will change as I get better but i love the feeling on a turbo trainer when you can lose yourself in a good song and realise you have blasted out another 3 mins without realising it

llama

or ‘just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming swimming’

Personally I only found it interesting when I was working hard sets and swimming fast. Kick is always boring though.

andyfla
    Free Member

No pretty girls to keep you “motivated”??

I live in Derby which is Britain’s Fat Capital

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Music whilst swimming help’ is closed to new replies.