Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Music storage question.
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

My Squeezebox original hooked up to my amp, maybe yes, but depends on the comparable MP3 bitrate quality and what the music content is. I do find I’m able to hear “watery” artefacts in some MP3s. Though more so with a decent system plus headphones.

Streaming to a phone or kitchen radio, then yeah quality isn’t a priority. Though FLAC is more about archiving the original CD perfectly. MP3 isn’t exactly what I bought, it’s lost information. Convert it and a bit more is lost, etc. If my CD is damaged or rots away (is possible) then I have a perfect copy of it.

DezB
    Free Member

If my CD is damaged or rots away (is possible) then I have a perfect copy of it.

Fair enough – although I’ve lost more than I’ve had damaged or rot 😉

traildog
    Free Member

I understand your problem as I have similar.
    I store my music on a computer and run a upnp/dlna server so I can access this collection, but that eats through my data plan plus I send it reduced so it sounds a bit rubbish. So I copy the files I want to my phone, which is as easy as plugging the phone to the computer and transferring the files. I don’t know why you are bothering with the older phone.

I can then play those files via bluetooth audio in the car, but that sounds horrible, so I end up copying the files to a sd card for use in car. Mp3 is probably good enough in the car as the system sounds rubbish anyway, but I can never be bothered to convert them as that’s too much hassle so the car storage fills up quickly.

But basically when I get a new cd and want it in other places, I put the cars sd card in the computer and plug the phone in the usb and copy the files to both at the same time and then it’s done.

DezB
    Free Member

I use a 500GB iPod in the car. Can’t beat it 🙂

nicko74

I’d rip to FLAC to store on a NAS. Exact copy of the CD then, best quality. They’ll stream as-is on a Sonos/Squeezebox/etc type of device, and over wifi to your phone with the right apps.

Then I have what I’m likely to want on the phone or other portable device converted to MP3.
    It’s a good point, and I do think I should rerip to something lossless for streaming/ backup, and MP3 for versatility. I’m now about 4/5 of the way through reripping my library to better quality MP3, so I’m not sure I can face going back and doing it all again though… 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Music storage question.’ is closed to new replies.