Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Mushrooms: How do I learn
  • nostoc
    Free Member

3 – Entoloma porphyrophaeum

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Yes no1 is not a chantrelle, gills are wrong.

2nd from bottom I reckon now is some kind of Amanita. So could well be a deathcap!

Bottom one has gills that discolour when touched. No milky residue, so not a mik cap.

I've downloaded Mycokey which is great, but it almost kills my computer when its running (must be all those thousands of pictures held in memory or something?

What is amazing is that I found all those mushrooms within about 10 meters of each other, in a place that I had never even noticed them before I started looking today!

corroded
    Free Member

There's one tiny corner of a local wood where I reckon there must be 50-60 varieties: pink, purple, yellow, orange, red, white and every shade of brown. There are dinner plate-sized ceps and tiny white mushrooms the size of a pin head. You notice different types arriving in waves, I guess as they're triggered by certain conditions. My biking really suffers this time of year as I'm looking around rather than at the trail, though I've only got eyes for ones I can eat.

One tip is to check the trees with which certain types are associated.

nostoc
    Free Member

this is a good book

chickenman

Ok, the Satan Bolette will make you explode at both ends, but it's extremely rare and won't do you any lasting harm.
    My point was that by sticking to chanterelles and ceps you are not exposing yourselves to risk; assuming you can identify a Chanterelle!
    The collection above did indeed seem to contain a Death Cap, which shows how similar they are to supermarket mushrooms.
    Stay clear of Field Mushrooms unless you really know your mushrooms, I would say!

CountZero

Interesting thread; there was a feature in the paper (yesterday, I think) about a twelve year old girl who found some 'shrooms while out on her bike, and she ate a couple raw, having identified them as Field Mushrooms. They were Death Caps. Astonishingly she survived, and apparently without organ damage. A very, very lucky young lady. Also, a work collegue picked some mushrooms last weekend for himself and his wife. He was violently ill for the whole of the following day, says he's never been so sick in his entire life. Be very, very careful and double/triple check everything before you even think about eating it.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Quick note; all the chanterelle like mushrooms at swinley are False Chanterelles. Not edible.

There are a couple of boletus to avoid, satanoides and the bitter boletus which looks a little like the penny bun boletus but tastes nasty!

highclimber
    Free Member

I was told that the risk of picking the wrong ones far outweighs the nutrional value of mushrooms though they can add a lot of flavour to home cooking!

forgotmename
    Free Member

The 2nd from right is a false death cap, the 2 in the first picture are Blushers, these look very similar to the Panther cap, therefore should not be eaten, although they are edible after cooking. I would choose 3 or 4 varieties of edible mushrooms that you would like to eat, learn about them and only ever pick them. I spend most days walking in woods and only ever pick what i know is edible. Bay boletes, Penny buns, chantarelles and portabellos are good and tasty and around this time of year.I use the net bag from my 661 pads to put my find in, then it lets the spores out.
    Good luck and happy hunting.

geoffj

1/2 hours collecting this afternoon

Torminalis
    Free Member

Was quite pleased with this shot of a Fly-agaric the other day. There are hundreds of them in the woods near my home.

Spongebob
    Free Member

There are loads out in the woods today where i was walking the dog. This spot is popular with dog walkers.

I was thinking I could get a meal or two out of these, but thought better of it after the dog wazzed on some! ❗

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I got this yesterday:

30092010403 by mountaincarrot, on Flickr

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Was quite nice with garlic toast.. the rest I dried for the winter

chvck
    Free Member

errr mountaincarrot, wtf is that!?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Mushrooms: How do I learn’ is closed to new replies.