Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Multiple Bike Thefts: Impact on insurance premium?
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Last month my commuter got nicked, claimed on my insurance (Aviva FWIW).
    I got the replacement a couple of weeks ago, and this weekend it too got stolen!

I’m now in 2 minds whether to claim again. Total value is £700 with a £250 excess so it will save me £450 in the short term but have read some horror stories of peoples policy renewal costs doubling after two or even one claim.
    Also 2 claims means I will lose my protected NCB if I have another claim in the next 5 years.

Anyone got experience with Aviva increases in premiums with multiple claims?

wwaswas

I don;t know about the insurance but the thieves will keep coming back every few weeks until you either stop replacing the bike, up your security or store it somewhere else.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Aware there’s always a risk of that, though the thefts were from entirely different places so unlikely to be related.

mrhoppy

Direct line stopped covering bikes for us when we had 2 claims in a year. 6 bikes and £12k in claims between the 2, but still worth bearing in mind.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m still getting bummed each year for a claim 4 years ago. Was a big one mind but I’m £400 a year worse off as a result.

TiRed

My premiums are huge#. But it’s what you pay insurance for after all. Deliberating over whether to claim defeats the purpose of insurance in my view. You’ve paid the premiums and are worried you’d have to pay more.

#Two claims, both for large sums. One was for seven bikes.

stevextc
    Free Member

But it’s what you pay insurance for after all. Deliberating over whether to claim defeats the purpose of insurance in my view. You’ve paid the premiums and are worried you’d have to pay more.

Not really .. it’s worth taking the hit if your £5000 carbon dream bike is stolen but for a £700 commuter of which he pays £250 excess that means he might get £450 back for now but then other bikes are uninsurable or unaffordable to insure.

If he can afford to replace the commuter (which he might well do for way less than replacement cost) at least any other bikes they may not be able to afford to replace OR insure next year are still insured…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Multiple Bike Thefts: Impact on insurance premium?’ is closed to new replies.