Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mud guards for commuting
  • mjb

Can anyone recommend be a good, cheap set of mudguards for my commuting bike (26″ hardtail). I’ve got a seat post mounted thing on the back at the moment (Topeak Defender I think?) but it’s not very good at keeping the sloppy mud that’s around at the moment off my rucksack and back. Just a Crud catcher on the front which is next to useless.

downshep

Decathlon are flogging SKS Bluemels 42mm width for £12.99. If you’re running narrow slicks, they’d be fine. You would probably need to hacksaw the stays down a bit.

Ben_H

If you can fit them, then I’d definitely recommend full mudguards.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I got some Tortec Reflector Mudguards.

Seem very similar to SKS Chromoplastic and have a reflective stripe on both sides which is handy for commuting and not getting squished etc

shermer75
    Free Member

Tortecs here too. About £30, very robust and look great.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

i have a few sets of sks full guards on a few bikes, certainly worth it for commuting. They really do stop 99.9% of crap off the road hitting you.

A homemade or bought extra long flap is also worth it to help keep crud off feet.

mjb

I can definitely fit full guards on the rear as it’s an old frame but not i’m not sure what to do on the front though as the forks don’t have any mounting points.

aide

Mudhugger on rear for me when it gets to this time of year. Homemade plastic mudguard on the fork, crud catcher on frame, seems to do the job

tjagain

cable ties are your friends for fixing guards to bikes not designed for them

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Search P Clips

shermer75
    Free Member

i’m not sure what to do on the front though as the forks don’t have any mounting points.

There’s always a way! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mud guards for commuting’ is closed to new replies.