Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • MTBR Dartmoor killer loop – which bit to chop?
  • nedrapier

this one:

http://www.mbr.co.uk/routes/western-england/dartmoor/dartmoor-devon-killer-loop/

We’re riding about 7 miles in from the north, so I’m wondering which bits I should make sure we definitely do, and which bits are more forgettable.

In order of loops we can cut off, i can see:

1) loop out to hunters tor and lustleigh cleave

2) loop back in to Manaton and water

3) some or all of the south eastern loop

4) some or all of the loop round birch tor.

Or is it all amazing, and we’re better off forgetting the idea of a ride from the door at Drewsteignton and drive to North Bovey?

Cheers!

mikeyd
    Free Member

1) Do NOT cut this bit out
    4) Maybe cut this bit out, but the trail on the way ‘out’ is very good.

Si
    Free Member

Depends how far you have come from to ride Dartmoor and when you will be back. I will say thats a big old route though that misses out some good descents….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Si
    Free Member

Better still ask a local to guide you… not me any more unfortunately.

That route whilst it takes in the nutcracker wastes the second half of the nutcracker descent by turning to Foxworthy.

The descent from water is good, but the hint is in the name… very early to get a soaking on a big ride…

The route misses out some ace singletrack. Go round to the right of Hound Tor as you come to it rather than over the top.

Id scrap Birch Tor and climb Hammeldown but come back via Cwm Down and Easdon Tor rather than the descent they have and the Rupp to the North of Easdon into North Bovey.

B

nedrapier

Cheers Si! Sounds like great advice. I’ll have a play on bikehike tomorrow and see if I can find those bits and tweak the route to include them.

And cheers mikeyd too. While you’re on, can you send out “answer your email” vibes to your namesake Mikey D so I can see him for a surf on Saturday, please? Cheers again! 😀

jruk
    Free Member

I’d kill the western bit out towards the Warren house if you want to name it shorter. Here’s an alternative if you want it http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTYyNzc= – although the same applies – the western loop will probably be hard going now.

nedrapier

Holy route misunderestimation, Batman!

In retrospect, I should have posed the question thusly:

“My wife and I are on holiday, she’s got a new bike she’s getting used to, and I’m on the cross type thing.

If we were going to do this route, are there any bits that are worth cutting out because they’re not so interesting, involve a lot of pushing, or are might be a bit tech for a wife on a new bike? Bits we’d like would be swoopy.”

minus husband points for me for not checking the route out properly, plus wife points for her smiling through the bike walking!

We started late, rode b-ways and a little cheeky to North Bovey, rode (mostly!) the route round to the top of Water cottages climb, then bailed and took the roads back to the bridleways (lights on then) a few miles south of Drewsteignton. Oh, and inadvertently cut out a chunk of 2) by enjoying the descent too much!

Still, a great day out, 25+ miles and smiles all round!

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Always the slowest average speeds we get anywhere on Dartmoor… esp this part. That’s a big ride… well done!

nedrapier

Cheers! Had to chuckle at the Strava times. KOM on water cottage climb is 2.5mph!

Si
    Free Member

Hah… If you’d told us all that in advance I’d have suggested something entirely different… 😉

maxtorque

Considering at a minimum i ride either my c456 HT with 140mm of travel, or my 160mm full bouncer when i do the Lustleigh loops, you’ve done well on fully rigid!

oh, and “snap”:

😉

ontor
    Free Member

Whoops!

quite happy to show you round next time!

carlphillips
    Free Member

Lol yes probably best to have mentioned that!! Is a big old day out round there..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘MTBR Dartmoor killer loop – which bit to chop?’ is closed to new replies.