Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MTB'ing "below the tree line"?
  • pedlad

Off for a long planned trip to N wales with mates this weekend and the forecast looks pretty wet and wild. As a result the planned big mountain type route on the sat looks a no go.

I’m thinking that like skiing, doing trails that are in and amongst the trees mostly would be a good bet in htis type of weather. Does anyone know if any of the N wales trail centres fit this bill more than the others?

cheers

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Sorry… is ‘below the tree line’ some kind of euphemism?

pedlad

no euphemism (well not in my innocent mind anyway!??)

I’m just after some advice from a N Wales regular who can advise which trail centre is best in bad weather, i.e. not too exposed.

The tree line thing was just that when skiing the trees break up the wind and any preceipitation, meaning you can carry on there in bad weather where the exposed higher altitudes would be a white out. I thought the same would apply on the MTB….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Coed-y-Brenin is very much in the trees. I’d be heading straight there – its seriously good as well.

DavidM
    Free Member

Good theory that. The Marin trail is normally pretty good in this kind of weather. There is a tea shop by the bridge in the village to warm up in.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I was gonna suggest Marin or CyB, until I decided to be facetious.. 😉

Both good, but CyB probably edges it in terms of trail diversity and entertainment.

pedlad

top suggestions thanks.

peachos
    Free Member

not penmachno…last time i rode there were in conditions not all that favourable and i remember thinking that the majority of the trail was like a stream.

andrewh
    Free Member

Any trail centre really. They should all be fine in rubbish weather as they tend to be gravel, or at least surfaced to some extent, very little crossing of peat bogs required. As much as we may take the micky out of trail centre riders I can see the sense in the winter months.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MTB'ing "below the tree line"?’ is closed to new replies.