Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • MTB trails in Cambridge / Histon
  • wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’m looking for some input from Cambridgeshire locals as to where to ride a mountain bike, ideally setting off from Histon; from what I’ve seen of Cambridgeshire there aren’t too many big hills so even riding on the flat is ok, anything to keep me out of the hotel bar!

If there is some where decent within 20 or 30 minutes drive that would also be manageable.

colournoise

Could just about get to Thetford in 35 minutes. Chicksands would be about the same. Could get up to Wakerley in about 40.

Barring driving out a bit to those, best bet is to grab an OS map and try to link up some bridleways (haven’t ridden down that way in years but seem to remember some bridleway routes).

rj
    Free Member

Thetford?

richmars

If you don’t want to drive to Thetford, ride over to Milton, get on the river path and cycle to Ely.

toby1

The Cambs MTB club tend to ride on the south side of the city. The Northern area is pretty barren. As the others have said Thetford/Brandon are not too far, aside from that road bike are the most well used bike locally.

oldnpastit

I live in Histon. There are various local loops I can point you at. Email in profile.

But the honest truth is that if mountain biking is what you want, you’ve really chosen the wrong county.

Most of the riding I do from my front door is on the road bike as there’s just a lot more to do.

Some possibilities though:

– Thetford (as above)
    – There’s a nice loop starting from the Roman Road (South side of Cambridge) and off to the grain silos at Linton
    – Harcamlow way is local and not bad for a quick blast; various variations on this.
    – There’s some moderately interesting stuff once you get beyond Wimpole (probably better on a CX bike)
    – The Alps are only about a 10 hour drive away….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘MTB trails in Cambridge / Histon’ is closed to new replies.