Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MTB Skills courses
  • Scapegoat

Mrs Scape wants me to enjoy a bike-related 50th birthday pressy. My dodgy hip precludes us spunking a load of cash on a Sierra Nevada or Alpine style trip in case I’m not fit enough to enjoy it when the time comes. However, a bit of googling has come up with a workable compromise, which would be to spend some time in Scotland and include a day’s one-to-one coaching. So, Google throws up Ridelines at Inners/Glentress. Are these guys worth a punt? We can sort accommodation and take either of the bikes, will they turn me from a “get round the red in one piece and mince some of the easier black bits” type into a trail warrior?

hazza123
    Free Member

Hi,
    have a look at ‘sickskills’, it is ran by Ben Cathro, a world cup downhill racer, he’s a very nice lad and have heard nothing but good things about his coaching (know a few people on a team he helps). I recently won a days training with him but haven’t used it yet but it should be promising.

Look sickskills up on facebook and the information should be there.

Edit: Here’s a link to his website.
    sick skills

philbert31
    Free Member

Richmtbguru is full of advice…….

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

🙂
    Great present idea!

There are a few options around Inners / GT, usual rec’s are Andy at Dirtschool and a different Andy at Ridelines. Both are really good. Give them a call for a chat – they’re both bike mad.

Nothwind off here has got / or paid for courses from both afaik, both come recommended for different styles.

mcnultycop

Where do you live?

Northwind

Was that the Northwindphone?

I’ve done more with Dirtschool than Ridelines, but yep, both brilliant and both different. What I reckon is, Andy Barlow at Dirtschool’s a great coach, basically you take along your goals and he gives you tools but it’s much more down to you to make use of that. I don’t think his explanations were always totally helpful tbh but his demos are fantastic, it’s very hands-on and doing-things which works for me.

Whereas Andy Weir at Ridelines is probably the better teacher, he got me thinking about the mechanics of my riding in a way nobody else has and got me over a couple of what I suppose were comprehension gaps, where I’d never quite figured out what was really going on- that’s a big deal, it’s harder to fix than to teach new skills. If you’ve got people who want to be lifted, rather than want to know how to lift themselves, I reckon they’re the better choice.

I don’t think you’d regret either though, as long as you take a good head and this is really important make sure you’re on the right level course for you. Also, both were just good days out- it’s not like school 😉

JCL
    Free Member

Richmtbguru is full of advice…….

Agreed. Pure excellence in the all terrain landscapes.

Scapegoat

@mcnultycop
    I live in Huddersfieldish.
    Northwind. I fret that I’ll pick the wrong course, so I’ll book a one to one. Thanks for the recommendations.

Diane
    Free Member

I think Ridelines would fit the bill perfectly!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MTB Skills courses’ is closed to new replies.