Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Mtb Mates wanted in Farnham area!
  • meathead981
    Free Member

Recently moved to Farnham, surrey and looking for some locals to hit the trails with…been out around Caesars camp and puttenham, but fed up being billy no mates!

send me a message if you’re feeling charitable and dont mind someone tagging along on your rides!

Cheers!

Sonor
    Free Member

These fellows from up the road in Farnborough, may be of use to you.

Tunnel hill Trolls

meathead981
    Free Member

Cheers buddy

atlaz
    Free Member

Also look up “London calling” on facebook. A pile more people in the rough neighbourhood

pants
    Free Member

You’ll fit in well with Bazz and THT! 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@meathead – drop me an email (in profile), I usually ride alone and prefer it that way but happy to show you some riding around Guildford and Surrey Hills.

There are some route ideas here link
    Plus you have Queen Elizabeth Country Park

rewski
    Free Member

@ jambalaya – some great links there thanks, do the St Martha’s trails avoid the sand? Hit quite a lot of it when I was connecting the NDW with Downslink.

jambalaya
    Free Member

St Marthas is quite sandy (inc the section you rode) and the section on the official route above to the South of the church is a total sand pit. Drop me an email for some other ideas. I know you’ll be courteous, we walk the dog up there at least once or twice a week.

rewski
    Free Member

I know you’ll be courteous

Of course, always 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Rewski – Jambalaya knows how to avoid the sand! Its relatively easy once you know the secret trails (?) up and down. Except for one awkward bit in The Chantries.

The link is great for XC blasts – I did one of the 20mile versions this morning up and around punchbowl. But they often miss out all the fun singletrack. They are my 2-3 hours fitness blasts. But don’t think these guys are singletrack freaks (alternatively they just don’t publicise the secret stuff!)

Meathead – the trolls are supposed to fun and welcoming (only know this second hand) but in Farnham you are easily placed for their local areas (Ceasars, Tunnel Hill), Swinley and you obviously know Puttenham (again you need to know the secret stuff in the vicinity otherwise a little predictable).

But can’t escape the sand on any of the Hankley/Thursley/ sections. The noise of the sand crunching through my chain, gears and mechs today bought tears to my eyes!!!

jambalaya – Member
    I usually ride alone and prefer it that way

It was that good was it!?! 😉

rewski
    Free Member

@ teamhurtmore – cool, I’ve just emailed Jambalaya. I would normally just man up and get on with it but it’s part of a Purley to Eastbourne ride and any local knowledge is welcome, I tried it a few weeks ago but bailed at Black Cap on the SDW, of course when I look back at my performance the sand at St Martha’s was to blame 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Purley to Eastbourne – that sounds like a good ride! How long is that? Do you connect up the N/SD Link onto the old railway line for part of that?. If you are just following the Link and coming up from G’ford, the sand is ok except for one annoying 100m on The Chantries. The climb up to the church is fine, its the first descent that’s bad. Tip – stay left in the trees but ignore the singletrack on LHS. You quickly emerge below the worst of the sand and then turn off onto the link as before.

rewski
    Free Member

Yes I used the downslink, so obviously that’s a bit dull compared to N&SDW, I don’t use GPS but I reckon it’s roughly 100 miles. Thanks for the tip.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore – I don’t like to hold people up !

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…or ride with wimps who can’t do Evian drop offs!! 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rewski – YGM inc a revised suggestion given your mileage goals.

@teamhurtmore – I’d be up for a mini epic on SDW

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

The link is great for XC blasts – I did one of the 20mile versions this morning up and around punchbowl. But they often miss out all the fun singletrack. They are my 2-3 hours fitness blasts. But don’t think these guys are singletrack freaks (alternatively they just don’t publicise the secret stuff!)

It’s a mixture of both! The ones I’ve created are based solely on public ROWs, so don’t include any cheeky trails that I use on rides.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TNMY – that’s the best idea and hope my comments didn’t seem rude. Just wanted to flag up to meathead that he/she might miss lots of singletrack as well. Very good set of routes that your club has made!

Jambalaya – SDW (muddy at the moment apparently) or SDLink (endurance ride there and back)? I guess you man the SDW?

rewski
    Free Member

@ Jambalaya – you’re a gentleman 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Rewski – I used to train for marathon on the Link up to the old railway station a few miles past Cranleigh. What is it like after that for riding? Is it a flat as the G’ford/Cranleigh stretch?

njee20
    Free Member

Rewski – I used to train for marathon on the Link up to the old railway station a few miles past Cranleigh. What is it like after that for riding? Is it a flat as the G’ford/Cranleigh stretch?

It’s just the Downs Link, not the South (or North) Downs Link – it links the Downs…

It’s pan flat the whole way! A small lump between Baynards and Rudgwick (about 4 miles south of Cranleigh) which is short and sharp, and another one right near the coast, but nothing of note hill wise.

rewski
    Free Member

As njee20 says, it’s all old railway line so pretty straight and flat, you actually look forward to having a decent bit of climbing by the time you get to beeding hill at shoreham.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks njee used to run to the road at Rudgwick and back, but didn’t know what it was like beyond. I guess to be missed unless you like MTB TTs!?! Or doing a bigger epic as above.

Only asked because friend asked me to do it with him but I would prefer a few more hills. Still there and back would be good for endurance training I guess!

spacemonkey

Yep, it’s flat just as rewski etc state above. Gets pretty effing dull as well – more so en route to Christs Hospital because all you’ve got to look at are trees. Opens up a lot more after that.

I sometimes do a loop that takes in about 15-20 miles of DL coupled with some road stuff to use as some kind of flat power session. A CX bike would be preferable though.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve done Cranleigh – Shoreham and back quite a few times when I fancy a mindless pedal! It’s alright, 60 miles, 4 hours.

rewski
    Free Member

It’s surfaced so you wouldn’t want to do it on anything softer than a hard pack fast roller like a small block 8, hence why I’ll be waiting for the ND & SD to dry out a bit.

spacemonkey

BTW that’s a might fine link there Jambalaya. Some good stuff in there. I am surprised though that no-one has ‘reprimanded’ you for making it public 😛

titusrider
    Free Member

just marking this thread for my impending move to Guildford 🙂

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

They are spacemonkey – are you talking about the VCGH linky? If so, why would he be reprimanded? They are just a collection of PDFs with routes marked on them, which are freely available to download. As a member of the club and author of some of the pdfs, I’m glad they’re being used, as the mtb-side of the club is on its last legs. So, if anyone fancies joining the club to breathe some new life into it, then let me know! 😀

spacemonkey

@TNMY: I’m just referring to how sensitive some people can be about certain trails being made public knowledge. I’m sure you know the sort …

EDIT: cheers for contributing to them 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@thats_not_my_name – I deduce you are one of the authors of the routes, if so a big thanks from me.

@spacemonkey – I found it via google I think !

@titusrider – welcome to the town, some great riding from our doorstep and you can ride to/from main the Surrey Hills singletrack or drive out there in 20 mins. QECP and Tunnel Hill is a similarly short drive.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

@TNMY: I’m just referring to how sensitive some people can be about certain trails being made public knowledge. I’m sure you know the sort …

EDIT: cheers for contributing to them

Yeah, I know what you mean. I’m a cartographer by trade, so making maps is what I do, so happy to do it! As mentioned above, most of these maps are based on ROWs, so there shouldn’t be much in there that’s contentious, even the ones around Pitch/Holmbury/Leith Hill. I’ve just looked at one of the maps (not mine) that covers Holmbury Hill and it doesn’t even follow BKB and uses the road instead 😆

timpol
    Free Member

Meathead – down the road from you in Alton, more than happy to show you bits of the Surrey Hills also.

pants
    Free Member

Have a go at AYTE in Deepcut and that will show you some trails.

meathead981
    Free Member

Thanks for all the top tips people!!

@teamhurtmore
    – yeah I’ve found some cheeky routes but I’m sure there are loads more…it’s a bit like a rabbit warren.

@timpol
    and jambalaya – thanks for the offers…I’ll be in touch!

@pants
    – what’s AYTE?

Again, thanks to all!

theotherjonv

http://armycyclingunion.co.uk/?page_id=26

Also check out http://www.bobmbc.co.uk, another group riding in the Farnborough / Crowthorne / Swinley area.

titusrider
    Free Member

just out of interest anyone work on coxbridge business park just south of farnham, seen a couple of guys going for evening rides?

shortcut

Trolls – we are ok really. Quite sociable and of varying pace.

Are You Tough Enough is a local Enduro event in a couple of weeks time on some great trails.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Mtb Mates wanted in Farnham area!’ is closed to new replies.