Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Mrs Jackass bike being powder coated – colour suggestions….
  • Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Going to pop Mrs Jackass’s bike that I am restoring for her into the powder coaters later and can’t quite make up my mind for the colour.

She likes purple but doesn’t want a purple bike so has mentioned to me about an ivory white / old english white with purple bits (brake outers, grips etc.) but I am thinking it will show the dirt too much.

I saw a nice DMR the other day that was in blue with purple bits and I know my powder coaters have Howies blue as they do stuff for curtis bikes before.

Or yesterday we saw an old mini in a pastel green / turquoise colour which she liked but not sure on the purple bits (which of course I don’t HAVE to do).

She does also like gold / copper bikes and has told me to get mine done in that colour before.

Show me some RAL colours and inspire me to make a decision!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i got mine done to match my ruller!

Its that plasticy red that stationatry made from (rullers, in trays, pen holders etc)

MrAgreeable

What kind of bike is it? If it’s a 1970s shopper then borrowing a colour scheme from a DMR may not work very well. 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Take a dart, unfurl a RAL chart on a wall, retire 6 paces …

alpin
    Free Member

going hrough the same thing with the GF at the mo… she’s lucky enough to have been given my old Sanderson frame in grey.

there are a few patches where the bare metal shows due to cable rub and kack handedness on my part scratching the chain stay with the disc.

she’s also said a purple (to match my db alpine), a goldy/bronze we saw yesterday on a honda motorbike.

i was thinking yellow but decided it looks a bit cheap.

or a nice clean white, not that i or she would ever bother to wash it.

how about a fiish like that of the 456 summer season? can that be done at home (well outside) DIY stylee?

i’ve painted an old road frame up white with blue decals and tyres and looks the biz but the paint has chipped in places, although i find it adds to the ‘aged’ look of the bike.

PePPeR

I like that idea!

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

It is an old Dawes Diploma so yes it’s a happy shopper bike but the DMR is a nice baby blue colour so I think it might suit.

Looking at a RAL chart though I do think 1015 Light Ivory would be nice, as would 5015 Middle sky blue or 5024 Pastel Blue.

Urghhh can’t decide, might just see what they guys at the powder place say and have in stock…

Oh if anyone has restored a ladies shopping bike lets see the pics…

nickc

Just paint it the colour she wants..?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Yeah, good luck with that.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

She hasn’t told me an exact colour and I don’t want to ask her as it’s a suprise. I know that she’ll moan if it’s white and looking dirty so I will have to clean lots (which I don’t want to do).

Just trying to get some ideas!

zebra
    Free Member

What I want to know is why do these wifes/girlfriends have to have the cast offs, resprayed or not. Why can’t they have their own top spec bikes brand new??????????

zaskar
    Free Member

You need a female perspective answer.

Where are the lady riders?

Well the last thing I would do is ask another bloke what to buy my GF as suprise.

Just ask her to put it in order of faves 1-10.

MrAgreeable

Cool, for a second I thought I was being a bit patronising!

I don’t have any pics of the exact one, but my friend has a Raleigh Stowaway folder which is army green with white tyres, saddle, grips and cable outers – we’ve restored it and it looks great, without being too lairy for its own good. It looks a bit like this but we got some white wall tyres for it off eBay.

Not sure about gold for a practical bike. For amusement value, you could pick an easily reconisable colour scheme to copy. One person I know had their bike painted yellow with black and white chequers on the top tube, like an NYC taxi…

MrAgreeable

Zebra, yes, if someone’s just starting out riding or wants something to pootle round town on, buy them something really fancy, no expense spared. That’s a very practical suggestion right there. 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

What I want to know is why do these wifes/girlfriends have to have the cast offs, resprayed or not. Why can’t they have their own top spec bikes brand new??????????

a) They can if they want to pay for them, particularly when she earns considerably more than me

b) Even my cast-offs are 1000% better than what she had before

c) If she isn’t really a top racer and not really much interested in cycling, its better than nowt. I’m not much interested in photography for instance, so her cast-off 35mm compact is about 1000% better than anything I’ve got, by virtue of existing

😉

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Mrs Jackass doesn’t normally ride so not going to spend a massive fortune on an off the shelf bike.

Also I will earn massive brownie points if I have got her a ladies bike and got it repainted so it looks like new and made her a bike.

Plan with all this is so that the three of us (Mr, Mrs + Jnr Jackass) can all go out on the bikes this summer along a canal path or somewhere flat and enjoy ourselfs and help Mrs Jackass get fit after having the baby.

zebra
    Free Member

The thing is, if she had a fantastic new bike that was light and racey then the whole concept of riding a bike would be so much more enjoyable and hey, hooked!!!!!! And that means long term, if she is hooked then you stand to get better bikes because she will understand what you are talking about!!! (The short straw to that though is you won’t be able to pull the wool over her eyes about what bikes/parts purchases you make!) And what is more, a jnr shouldn’t make any difference, I ride with someone all the time who has an 18 month baby and has been back on the bike since about two months after having her). Finished!

MrAgreeable

I doubt that anyone needs a racey lightweight bike if all they’re doing is pootling round canal paths. In fact I’d go further and say that Jackass’s missus is probably more likely to enjoy riding a simple practical bike that needs minimal maintenance, and doesn’t come burdened with the weight of expectation. 😉

Esme
    Free Member

Silver grey – then she can accessorize in whatever colour she likes – water bottle, bottle cage, grips, bell(!) etc. And change them for next year’s fashion

nukeproof
    Free Member

The thing is, if she had a fantastic new bike that was light and racey then the whole concept of riding a bike would be so much more enjoyable and hey, hooked!!!!!!

TBH I don’t see the point of this as that assumes any new mtber needs a ‘fantastic new bike’ to get hooked. Well I know I got hooked when riding a 40lb Mustang: its not the bike that gets you hooked, its the riding. Spend a ton of money and find she doesn’t get hooked…then what?

@Jackass123456789 – did you/your wife decide what colour?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Just a quick question and a slight side track, is powdercoating tough enough, chip resistant for MTB use and what type of laquer if any do you use over the top?

cheers and thanks for the advance, and sorry for the slight hijack/sidetrack

MrAgreeable

RJ, depends on the place doing the powdercoating – it’s not the sort of thing you can do yourself. My experience is that it’s very tough, much more so than stove enamel or other “wet” finishes. It’s not indestructible, but one frame I had done survived last years’ Megavalanche without any chips.

footstomper
    Free Member

Jackass123456789
    What is a ball park figure to have your bike Powder Coated & where are you getting it done as i have a frame that requires some TLC?

Cheers

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Mrs Jackass bike being powder coated – colour suggestions….’ is closed to new replies.