Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • MRP XCG good idea or not?
  • Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

As above, are these any good? Anyone using one?

I’ve 1 bike I use for everything so like the 3 rings at the front but like the idea of some protection.

Seems like an obvious design, why’s there only 1 company making them?

roblane65
    Free Member

does your chain come of regular or do you damage chain rings all the time ? if not why do you need one ! 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

I would check that your frame is designed to take a taco guard first: Not all of them are and using one can damage the frame and invalidate the warranty, if the frame isn’t designed to take one.

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

Waiting on new SLX chainset and not keen to use the big ring as a bash guard! Had a couple of rides recently were the old chainset took a fair bit a abuse, its more rack and logs than loosing the chain.

Frame is DMR Trailstar, I’m not even slightly worried about warranty! ISCG mounts so shouldn’t be an issue anyway.

In truth I probably don’t need it but its been a quiet day in work and I’ve had too much time to tempt me 🙄

Lifer
    Free Member

Yup had one for a year or so on my Meta 5, BB mount. Plenty of scrapes on it so it’s doing it’s job, and proper fit and forget item.

Roblane it’s not a tensioner just a guard.

Anyone basis for the guard damaging frames mikey74? Been using bash guards in various forms since the mid 90s and never had a problem despite wanging one hard enough to snap a chunk off.

mikey74
    Free Member

Anyone basis for the guard damaging frames mikey74? Been using bash guards in various forms since the mid 90s and never had a problem despite wanging one hard enough to snap a chunk off.

Only that not all ISCG tabs are designed to take the taco guards. I have been told by the designer that using a taco guard on my Banshee, for example, would invalidate the warranty as the tabs and the surrounding BB shell is not designed to take them.

I am sure loads of people have used them and been fine, and I’m just passing on info. The choice is up to you.

Lifer
    Free Member

Fair enough!

steveh

I have them on both my xc bikes, never used to bend chain rings but like being able to smack in to stuff knowing i won’t damage anything. Top value for money for me. Both mine are BB mount and have been no problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘MRP XCG good idea or not?’ is closed to new replies.