Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mounting bottle cages when you've got no frame bosses
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

I've nearly finished my retrotastic Raleigh SS road bike and have tried using the wee frame that bolts onto the seat rails and mounts 2 cages and it looks cack

Older bikes had bolt on cage mounts but can I find any…….no……any ideas of what else I could use

Cheers for any help

Ken

coatesy
    Free Member

If you don't mind drilling your frame(and can do it reasonably accurately), you could fit Rivnuts like most manufacturers use,a good bike shop will probably have a tool for it.

yunki
    Free Member

surely cable ties are your friend?

Kuco

You could try one of these don't know if they are available over here but I have ordered from Cyclocross World without any problems.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl

Is a bar mounted bottle out of the question?

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

This too naff?

ziggy
    Free Member

You need a Zefal Gizmo, very neat and cheap. Come in 3 different sizes.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

If you were to go for the cheap and cheerful cable tie option, you may find that you need one going to the top tube as well, which ends up looking a bit duff. Works for me at races though.

IanW
    Free Member

Cut up an old tube to protect your frame then cable tie the bottle rack. Thats it job done.

drofluf
    Free Member

I bought one of these in the States

It's made by Twofish great product (no connection!) Don't know if they have a UK distributor.

Velcro holds the cage securely to the frame

oldgit
    Free Member

Corleys do a simple one, like all of the above but with metal straps – worked fine on my old crosser.
    Or you could go for the L'eroica look with a couple of bar mounted alloy bottles.

Though actually we just used two metal bands that clamped around the cage in the 60s and 70s, just like the cable clamp/guides all the bikes had, but that's too simple for these days 🙄 I need some for my Claud.

oldgit
    Free Member

ken_shields
    Free Member

Oldgit

I spoke to Ray at Corleys and he said they'd dumped a load of their old stuff a few years ago as there was no call for it.

It's those old metal bands that I want as I don't fancy bar mounted ones. If I find some how many do you want me to get for you?

Edric64
    Free Member

I use to use DMR chainguide clamps they were available as a spare at one point .Buy a pair and the bolt hole you mount the chain guide on gets used as a bottle cage mount .It's a nice hinged bracket in alloy it looks very tidy

oldgit
    Free Member

Ken

Just a pair for now thanks.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mounting bottle cages when you've got no frame bosses’ is closed to new replies.