• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by duir.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mountainbike instructing/teaching!
  • lookmanohands
    Free Member

This is not a troll or a dig at anybody (instructor or students) its more of an observation really. there seems to be more of these sorts of things springing up, which i guess can only be a good thing – more skilled/safer riders, but is there really any replacement for months/years of steady progression, learning from your mistakes etc or does everybody want to be a hardcore gnarl shredder now! can money really buy you that?? 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

but is there really any replacement for months/years of steady progression, learning from your mistakes

what if you can't identify the mistakes?

i'd class myself as a pretty decent rider – been riding for 15 years. 15 years of bad habits ingrained. a mornings coaching moved my riding on immensely.

you could also apply your logic to ANY course; physics; is there any benefit in doing a degree in astro-physics would you be better to get a telescope and learn yourself? maybe?

😀

stevomcd
    Free Member

I think it's a good thing – once you get beyond just pootling along, a lot of things on a bike are counter-intuitive.

I always find it a bit weird that about 90% of skiers take lessons, but about 90% of mountain bikers wouldn't dream of it.

DaveGr
    Free Member

I was at the Builth CRC at the weekend on the free taster session from CycleActive – after learning how to brake more efficiently one person said "I've been riding for 20 years and I've learnt something new already". Sometimes you don't know there's a better way and coaching is a way of finding out.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I think perhaps you overestimate the general level of people's abilities. You also overestimate, as thomthumb mentions, many (most?) people's ability to be critical of themslves and to understand what/when they do something 'wrong'. Having somebody with sound knowledge point out and correct one's flaws and – in a productive manner, of course – is something that everyone with a bike would benefit from.

That said, all the skills courses and training in the world is going to be useless if one doesn't build on what is received.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

Hi the thing is some of the riders on here are so poor any lesson is an impovement.Thats why they go.As you know you get alot of skills from the old race courses and racing which were ticky then, not so now.Alot is about bottle and balls and you cant teach that.You could just go out and enjoy your riding heavens above if you just did that!!!!!!! :lol:.

myheadsashed

Alot is about bottle and balls and you cant teach that.You could just go out and enjoy your riding heavens above if you just did that!!!!!!! :lol:.

No it's about confidence and a good teacher will raise an individuals confidence/skill level they will then improve and so on……

bottle and balls is just stupidity in some people……

lookmanohands
    Free Member

remedyflyer – Member

As you know you get alot of skills from the old race courses and racing which were ticky then, not so now

Ahh the old Margam park races – i hated those 👿

doug_basqueMTB.com

The problem is that you often don't learn from your mistakes. You definitely learn coping mechanisms, but not often the 'right' way of doing things. Riding more just ingrains those poor techniques. Also, riding "tricky" course doesn't help either, you're more likely to use poor technique when you're pushing your limits.

I'm a huge fan of skills training. It transformed my riding when I had my first lesson a few years ago. Not overnight, it took a lot of work and practice but the skills lessons showed me the path to overcoming some of my faults. I'll have more skills lessons for sure!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think alot of it is because mtbing is now a sport undertaken at a later stage in life by alot of middle/high earners with money to burn. Similar to golf or something.

Its not just a hobby but also something to spend all the money they earn on. Look at all the bling bikes on here for example, or go to a trail centre car park on a weekend and check out all the expensive cars.

For example, Im sure some people on here have said they've never owned a hardtail i.e. started riding on a full sus bike. Thats probably not gonna teach you any skillz, all the gear no idea etc.

Consequently, these people havent spent the time doing the usual bmx/street/dirtjump/downhill stuff you do if you start when your young. Hence their shit on a bike and may aswell spend some hard earned on a course to learn how to do it all properly.

Nowt wrong with that

rudedog
    Free Member

I wouldn't mind going on one of these courses but really can't justify how expensive they seem to be.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Strange isn't it how this skills stuff is only coming about now. You look at something like martial arts – everyone goes to school to learn and learn and learn but do they ever really go out and kick someones ass? Its almost the opposite of MTB where we never have lessons but are out riding our bikes in real situations all the time – but for some reason its seen as bad to have lessons and be shown how to do it properly.

I think coaching is a good thing as it develops the right technique which in the certain situations will avoid injury and overall increase the enjoyment – imagine not being able to serve in tennis?? how annoying would that be?

Rudedog – they're not that expensive

RayMazey
    Free Member

Some good points made.

I have held a variety of coaching roles in both commercial and educational establishments for many years. Obviously this may seem a very biased opinion, but I am 100% convinced that a good coach can work wonders, providing that the student and the coach, understand exactly what student / coaches aims are.

I have witnessed many situations, were the coach has not fully assessed the student (which without doubt can be quite difficult) or the coach has digressed from their aims (or never had any), which can then result in a negative outcome.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

You hated Margam!What about the Gorricks sat on my back wheel then into the techie bits you overtake and start flicking the back wheel all over place.I know just showing of :lol:.Very cool though.
    I think davidtaylforth you have hit the nail right on the head with that.
    I suppose it depends on your skills level in the first place.If you can ride down everything up lecky then why bother with skills course!.I taught myself how to jump few years ago and i am know spring chicken.But then again i dont go out analysing everyride i do like some.

duir
    Free Member

MTBing for 20 years and qualified MTB instructor for 9 years. Still learning!

Getting instruction from a good instructor will really change your riding even if you think you are already great. It's surprising how the most simple tips will radically change your riding and make you much faster.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mountainbike instructing/teaching!’ is closed to new replies.