Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mountain biking in fuerteventura – anyone been?
  • binners

We’re off there in a couple of weeks. I’m not going to take my bike, as that seems a bit of a faff, but I’ve got clearance for a couple of excursions, so I’m going to put all my gear in and hire something when I get out there.

There are a few places hiring bikes, with decent looking bikes, and a few places doing guided rides. The riding looks like something totally different than I’ve ridden before on volcanic stuff. Should be interesting

So has anybody ridden there? Any experience of any of the individual companies hiring bikes or doing tours? Any recommendations, or what to avoid would be good?

Fanks.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Which town are you staying in?
    I went there a few years ago, but took the road bike. Its popular with triathletes and the roads are OK.
    Off-road looked like it had potential. I would definitely look for a guide if you find one.

binners

Staying in Castillo Caleta Matt. Looks like there are a couple of places right there doing bike hire. I’ll definitely be looking at getting on a guided ride

kimbers

The only issue is its windy!

thats why its popular with windsurfers (you could give that a go there)

I took my bike a few years ago, just picked some mountains and headed up them, was quite good fun, a guide would be nice though

jambalaya
    Free Member

binders there was a thread a while back and an STWer posted quiet a few photos etc. Will try and google it now. It’s a place we’ve thought of going a few times for out of season sun. Flights can be a little tricky in low season,

Edit: here is thread, will search my email as the poster was kind enough to send me more info thread link

Edit2: YGM

aracer
    Free Member

Is that a new resort? It doesn’t seem to be on the map.

downhilldave

Brilliant place to ride, a few of my photo’s on the previous post. Rental bikes have the brakes the WRONG way round,very easy to take a bike same price as a set of golf clubs. You need some help to find the good stuff Tbf. Ping me a mail if you want any help.
    The trail down to Cofete beach in the south

Near Lajares in the north

One in centre near Betancuria

binners

Thanks very much for the replies guys. I’m going to try and get a couple of guided rides planned in before we head out.

Me and Mrs Binners have somewhat unbelievably wangled a week out there sans kids (much as I love them, etc, etc….) so I’ve got the thumbs up for a couple of rides. What I’m not going to get away with is taking the bike, which then opens up a whole other world of “I’m just going to pop out for an hour or two…”

The committee will no way be ok with that! And that’s fair enough 😉

Looks like i”m definitely going to need to shove the pads in. Coming off on that volcanic stuff is gonna hurt! No worries though. As all the rest of my luggage will be consisting entirely of my collection of brightly coloured Speedo’s 😀

888trojan888
    Free Member

Celeta cycles is the bike place there and its near the beach front. The chap is called Jeff who knows the area well. The bikes are a bit shabby but they do the job. He does guided tours as well.

I done my own thing and done a 26 miler there that took me out in the desert region that was pretty good. I followed a GPS and map. Got the route somewhere if you want it.

The wind can brutal so chose a stillish day.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

the rest of my luggage will be consisting entirely of my collection of brightly coloured Speedo’s

I now have a mental picture which is somewhat similar to Ray Winstone in Sexy Beast. Thanks for that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Great place for windsurfing and kitesurfing. Could do worse and give the bikes a miss and join in.

As is, don’t come off, it hurts a lot. The dirt/sand has all sorts of nasty shaped volcanic grit in it. The roads get covered in stuff in corners too and overrun from the hills up top.

Should be a good hoot for you.

How do Northerners cope with 25C and Sunshine?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking in fuerteventura – anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.