• This topic has 74 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Mountain Bikers on Road bikes.
  • jonyb
    Free Member

i am one of those mtb suited road bike riders.
    i wondered why i was never acknowledged by roadies or mtb’s.!!

mogrim

I wear lycra bib shorts on both the MTB and road bike. I’ve got some baggies, but they’re nothing like as comfortable.

portlyone

Saw a guy riding a hybrid earlier, he was wearing shorts that resembled hot pants.

I know it was hot today but that’s just not on! 😉

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Does he also acknowledge other cyclists irrespective of bike type?

portlyone

He rode past us as we sat in traffic. Don’t know why so many people were heading into the peak district 😉

FYI I had shorts on and a Chameleon in tow 🙂

jameso

http://www.bikemag.com/blog/web-monkey-speaks-mock-care/

a good read, on the topic of wrongness : ) worth a look just to see the mythical Tupacicorn..

tinybits
    Free Member

Well, as I’ll be getting the road bike out later, I’ll have to think long and hard over what to wear. It’s sunny, I’ve not shaved my legs (for the last 20yrs), my legs are whiter than a sheet of paper and I have a gut on me the size if a small football due to a slipped disc and 11monyhs of serios inactivity.

White Lycra it is!

headfirst
    Free Member

All you lot saying “I’ll wear what I like and that means baggies on anything with two wheels” are victims of ‘rules’/fashion/peer pressure yourselves. Baggies are a completely extraneous, unnecessary and downright silly item of clothing for cycling. All they do is flap about and get hooked up on your saddle. Lycra shorts (bib or not) are perfect for the job whatever surface you’re riding.

boxelder

Just an observation, but you always get a cheery hello returned by roadies in ‘less than team issue’ kit.
    Serious sorts in colour coded team kit are often too miserable.

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    racefaceec90

i rode my old road bike wearing jeans once (it had a pair of odyssey black widow flat pedals also 8)

chiefgrooveguru

Baggies are a completely extraneous, unnecessary and downright silly item of clothing for cycling. All they do is flap about and get hooked up on your saddle. Lycra shorts (bib or not) are perfect for the job whatever surface you’re riding.

Except baggies are much safer when you crash, last for ages and ages, are more weatherproof and have useful pockets. Also, they don’t have to be very baggy at all, so mine neither flap about or catch on my saddle. Oh yes, and I often wear mine all day at work (before I go out night riding) so the aesthetics are on their side then. So explain to me why Lycra shorts would be better for my mountain biking?

theocb
    Free Member

I thought all roadies knew, it doesn’t matter how fat or slow you are you have to have the right gear! Take it seriously god damn you.

teethgrinder

My road bike is just an MTB with bar ends and city jets. I wear the same kit as I do on the proper bike.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I won’t wear baggies on my road bike, reason being that if I’ve spent 2k plus on a 15lb speed machine it kind of defeats the purpose wearing shorts that act like a parachute. I also don’t wear a peaked helmet as it hurts my neck.

That said, nowt wrong with doing it if thats your bag, makes no odds to me at all.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Day before yesterday in exeter i saw a young man in preppy summery h&m sort of clothes, riding a nicely specced specialized tarmac, with toeclips ( you know the plasticcy ones you get on new road bikes) and putting the power down through flip flops. I think he wins.

PrinceJohn

Baggies are a completely extraneous, unnecessary and downright silly item of clothing for cycling. All they do is flap about and get hooked up on your saddle. Lycra shorts (bib or not) are perfect for the job whatever surface you’re riding.

Unless of course you are just riding a bike for fun & not competitively & would rather not look like a bit of a dick.

RustySpanner

I use a road lid, bibs, and mtb shoes on road and off.
    Same gloves, tops and jackets too.

I’m sure the specific stuff is better, but I can live with the compromise.

toby1

No one EVER needs to see me in all Lycra, I may ride road in baggies, but I do it for your own good people!

I also ride a really old cheap road bike though so it’s ok.

headfirst
    Free Member

Prince John, your final few words only confirm my point about ‘the right look’.

Chief… I completely disagree with you regarding the safety, durability and weatherproofness of baggies. Re.you wearing your shorts all day at work, I deal with this by having a pair of long trousers (I’m a grown up) that I keep at work which I change into after I’ve had a shower when I commute by bike.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I think he wins

who was he racing?

nealglover
    Free Member

(I’m a grown up)

You are arguing with strangers on the internet about what they should wear while riding their bike.

It will take more than Long trousers to make you a grown up 🙄

chiefgrooveguru

Chief… I completely disagree with you regarding the safety, durability and weatherproofness of baggies.

Clearly this is an argument I can’t win because you’re one of those special people that inhabit forums who substitute fact with their baseless opinions. But despite the pointlessness of saying this I can’t see how even the most massive idiot could claim that thin stretchy Lycra is more abrasion resistant, more rain resistant and more wind resistant than a much tighter weave and heavier weight non-stretch nylon fabric. Enjoy your weird parallel universe in which physics has been turned on its head…

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    headfirst
    Free Member

Oh dear, some folk do get their (non-lycra) knickers in a twist. I must remember to put more 😉 s in my posts… I’d still rather wear lycra shorts on a rainy ride knowing they’ll dry quicker than two layers.

Right I’m off now to my parallel universe, TTFN.

Superficial
    Free Member

I spotted an MTBer the other week

Lapierre road bike
    Non-SL spds
    GoPro on the bars
    Six inches of stem stackers (I’m not kidding. He had some sort of extender tube to facilitate this)
    Baggies/peaked helmet of course

Obviously it doesn’t really matter what you wear, provided you’re having fun. The issue I have is when MTBers consider themselves ‘above’ full roadie gear. “I’m not wearing Lycra, that’s for benders” sort of attitude.

1) You’re on a road bike, riding in an extended circle for fun. You’re a roadie now, admit it. This doesn’t mean you’re not a mountain biker as well. You might as well embrace it rather than be ashamed of yourself
    2) To the general public, I’m not convinced they think MTBers look cooler than roadies. So who are you trying to impress? The occasional mountain biker you pass? Who probably thinks you’re a roadie anyway (you are, see point 1)
    3) If wearing Lycra is good enough for Martyn Ashton in road bike party or Danny Hart on a training ride then it’s good enough for you.

deviant
    Free Member

These threads are always amusing.

I can understand people not giving a fig what they look like but i also have a hunch that some of these posters are the same people who shy away from Planet-X, Canyon, YT Industries, Saracen etc because they wouldnt be seen dead with certain (cheaper) brands.

I reckon what people really mean is that they are primarily mountain bikers and dont care about roadie kit on their few random road rides each year?….which is probably fair enough….but roadie kit is so much more comfortable and better suited to the job if you get out enough on a road bike to warrant it.

LMT
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what you wear just get out and ride!!

Im fairly easy to spot on my road bike, team gb footie shirt (2012) it looks good! speshi BG mtb shoes because they are comfy, candy’s as my choice of pedal as I run candy’s on both my mtb’s, and yep baggy altura shorts. I get a few odd looks. Who cares? I don’t, I just enjoy being out on whatever bike im on.

Forgot to add my roadbike is a canyon as well.

simondbarnes

I wear the same on my road bike as I do on my mtb other than the shoes.

MTB…

ROAD:

anagallis_arvensis

I have to say I get a lot of comments cir wearing lycra on my mtb. Some of the baggie mafia are quite vociferous. Never had a comment wben riding with road clubs for years with a camel back. Other than doesnt it get hot? and they are right about that.

nealglover
    Free Member

I can understand people not giving a fig what they look like but i also have a hunch that some of these posters are the same people who shy away from Planet-X, Canyon, YT Industries, Saracen etc because they wouldnt be seen dead with certain (cheaper) brands.

Most of the stuff I ride in is proper cheap stuff (I do have one TLD teeshirt that was 75% off on wiggle)

No big brand names, some kit bought used off here. It all works, it’s all comfy.

I don’t wear padded liners, just shorts, not that baggy, but not “skinny jeans tight” and I don’t own any Lycra at all, so I couldn’t wear it even if I wanted to (I don’t)

So who are you trying to impress? The occasional mountain biker you pass?

I’ve never impressed anyone so far, and I certainly don’t intend to start now 🙂

eskay

I am stood in the sun at the moment marshaling a sportive and I have seen all shapes and sizes over the last couple of hours wearing all sorts if clobber and riding all sorts of bikes. The one thing most of them have in common is that they are enjoying themselves and that is what it is about.

samuri
    Free Member

I wear the same on my road bike as I do on my mtb other than the shoes.

Me too. Except I keep the shoes the same. Baggies, SPD’s. Road. cross, MTB. I’m amazed anyone cares what I wear or that they might think it’s not just as good kit for the job.

Don’t wear a peak though. Cycling cap for the win.

butcher

I feel so privileged to be part of such an inclusive and accepting commuting… 😉

What a load of ****. Wear what you like and whatever you feel comfortable in. I often wear baggies and SPDs, sometimes even full length trousers (take that!) on the road bike. And you do catch people looking down their noses at you. I just let them get on with it.

Fact is, roadie and mtb fashions are both horrendous. I’m not sure which is worse. So if you ride a bike there’s a good chance you look like a pleb anyway.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bikers on Road bikes.’ is closed to new replies.