Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • MotionX GPS Users (GrahamS) – help needed
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I downloaded the app for iPhone and then created a route on CycleStreets (the website; tried Chrome and Safari). I then downloaded this route as a .gpx file which I emailed to the address given by the MotionX app. It duly arrived back with the link which opens the app and is supposed to download as a track. Each time I tried (3 or 4 times IIRC) the app said there was no readable data in the .gpx files. Am I doing something wrong? Should I create the track with another website other than CycleStreets? Both the website and the app seem to use the same maps 😕

(GrahamS, if you’re reading, I downloaded the app after you mentioned it on another thread regarding Cyclemeter and other apps wrt data usage. And of course you’re a techie 😀 )

geoffj

Open the .gpx file you originally downloaded from CycleStreets in Text edit and check that there is stuff there would be a good starting point.

If there isn’t, try again, or try creating one in where’s the path http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

GrahamS

Here! 🙂

Hmm.. I’ve only tried downloading from MotionX not uploading to it.
    Give me a minute and I’ll have a play…

GrahamS

Hmm same thing here:

Import Finished: 1 item was read but didn’t contain any usable data.

I’ll investigate.

GrahamS

Right – it doesn’t look like they are compatible (I think)

MotionX deals with tracks (trk) which are just a collection of points (trkpt) every few seconds like this:

<trk>
    <name>Wylam wood Road</name>
    <desc>16 Apr 2011 12:26 pm</desc>
    <trkseg>
    <trkpt lon="-1.829131" lat="54.971664">
    <ele>8.371592</ele>
    <time>2011-04-16T11:26:38Z</time>
    </trkpt>
    <trkpt lon="-1.829131" lat="54.971664">
    <ele>12.166491</ele>
    <time>2011-04-16T11:26:54Z</time>
    </trkpt>

Whereas Cycle Streets produces a route (rte) which is basically a series of waypoints (rtept) like this:

<rte>
    <name>Balanced Algernon Terrace to Sunderland Road</name>
    <desc>Balanced cycle journey from Algernon Terrace to Sunderland Road</desc>
    <rtept lon="-1.823186" lat="54.977043">
    <name>Cherry Tree Lane</name>
    </rtept>
    <rtept lon="-1.822657" lat="54.976395">
    <name>Main Road</name>
    </rtept>
    <rtept lon="-1.820677" lat="54.976482">
    <name>Main Road</name>
    </rtept>
    <rtept lon="-1.819329" lat="54.976158">
    <name>Falcon Terrace</name>
    </rtept>

The good news is that there is also a Cycle Streets phone app so you could maybe try using that?

GrahamS

Alternatively you can use the GPX Converter at GPSies.com to convert the Cycle Streets route file to a MotionX-compatible track file.

Failing that, CycleStreets is still in beta and has a feedback form, drop them a line, tell them of your difficulties and let them knwo you’d like to be able to download your route as a track.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘MotionX GPS Users (GrahamS) – help needed’ is closed to new replies.