Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Moscow, must do's please
  • sheldona
    Free Member

Off to Moscow, what are the must do's?

I'll only have some evenings free, may get one day at the end of my stay, so looking for things to see and do at night/evening.

Thanks

jumping_flea
    Free Member

In the day get on the underground. Get a ticket, take a ride, check out the station architecture – great communist stuff.

Not sure about the evening – we went to the GQ bar nr red square, good atmosphere, but it was very expensive!!!!!!!!!! Really only went because it was next to the hotel and saw it in a magazine as a place to go. My other night there was a company meal, not sure of the location

We did benifit from having a guide – however my company provided one who only spoke german – she tried to make me understand what she was saying by speaking german slowly and loudly – still didn't understand a work she was saying!

sheldona
    Free Member

Thanks Tom, planning on trying to get to see Red Square and the Kremlin.
    Expensive = Expenses 😉

project
    Free Member

Have a look at http://WWW.RUSSIATODAY.COM, also on freeview channel 85,after 19.00 hrs, lots of good info,and they have a really annoying reporter,who goes around looking at tourist places.

I so want to go to Russia.

Jeremy
    Free Member

In the Kremlin, the cathedrals and armory (housing a vast collection of faberge eggs) are definitely worth a visit. get tix for the armory early as its busy.

on red square, lenin's mausoleum's gotta be done. st basil's cathedral is iconic from the outside, the inside was a bit unexpected. GUM, the old department store is also there, just a load of prada and lacoste shops tho.

As was mentioned, the metro is amazing, this link suggests a few stations: http://www.moscow-taxi.com/sightseeing/metro.html

the tretyakov gallery, if you're an ''''arty'''' person, is the best.

the cemetary behind the novodevichy convent is where many of russia's heroes are buried with phenomenal tombstones/gravemarkers

a drive around moscow at night to see a couple of the 7 sisters (7 stalinist skyscrapers e.g. MGU the university)

The Bolshoi theatre for some mandatory russian ballet?

some ideas at any rate.

Jeremy
    Free Member

this guide is good and up to date for going out: http://www.inyourpocket.com/russia/Moscow

andy_hamgreen

Lenin and Night Flight for your expenses…

rOcKeTdOg

Macdonalds/starbucks/subway etc etc?

seriously,get the night sleeper train to St Petersburg, fancy architecture a go go and beautiful canals(and worth it just for the unique tea they serve on the train)*

*this may not exsist now though, last time i was there was 1982 when it was wholly communist

big_scot_nanny

I bloomin love Moscow, been a few times with work and it fantastic. If you knwo anyone there, of course ask them the same question. I am sure they will come up with some wonderful ideas and ideally take you out. I have always found Moscovites (sp?) to be the most warm, welcoming and inclusive people. Wonderful. Maybe that is because my perception is squewed after spending so long in Aberdeen however…. 😉

Metro is fabulous, Seven Sisters (pronounced vee-SOT-ka, no idea how to spell it) are truly amazing, Kremlin/red square great (again, there are things to see and do there that require a bit of local help, like the wishing circle thing just outside the gates). For a fabulous view go to the bar at the top of the Swissotel. Bit pricy, but fantastic as you can see right round the city. http://www.swissotel.com/EN/Destinations/Russia/Swissotel+Krasnye+Holmy/Hotel+Home/Hotel+Description

Best thing was going out with local folk if you can, love getting immersed in their culture, eating drinking what they do (not am million miles away from Scottish fair, but there is only so much Vodka you can drink and pickled vegetables you can eat!). Take some wee UK unique gifts as a way of saying thank you.

Have a great time, let us know how you get on!

Kev

Stoner
    Free Member

2nd RD – best thing about Moscow, is the night train to St Petersburg.

once there you have the Hermitage, Winter Palace, and sunday brunch at the grand hotel Europe (dont have t0 be a guest)

http://www.orient-express.com/web/stpetersburg/restaurants_europe.jsp

As much top notch nosh as you can fit in your wok! 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

Thanks guys heading out for work so no sleeper train 🙁

will look at doing some of the other stuff though. Thanks!

ourmaninthenorth

All I know about Moscow are stories from two people who worked out there for a whiles:

1. One chap arrived at his first meeting with various businessmen. Everyone, from the important people to their bag carriers showed their intent at the meeting by placing all of their guns on the table.

2. Another chap left a meeting. He turned right out of the building, his colleague turned left. His colleague was bundled into a car, taken to the woods and gang raped.

I have sworn never to go to Russia…!

clubber
    Free Member

Note to self. Don't turn left out of buildings in Moscow. At least Zoolander would be safe.

Sheldon, nothing particular to add but I had a great time there and didn't get murdered/gang raped at all – not even once 😉

Geronimo
    Free Member

The Kremlin is definitely worth a visit.
    "the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy, VDNKh" is also worth a look, although it has now become something of a capitalist flea-market.

What a great use for Titanium!

Going to Russia is a good experience.

In the cities keep looking over your shoulder, keep your pockets zipped up to foil pick-pockets, don't step-in to help victims of violent muggings and don't look too closely at the groups of large chaps (in expensive suits with pistol-shaped bulges near the shoulder) who sit at the next table to you at restaurants….

You'll be fine.

For going native, check out Yolky Polky, it's a sort of Russian Beefeater eatery chain with good food and a great salad bar.

Red Square is an unusual place if you grew up before the 90s. I half-expected to see tanks and ballistic missiles on trucks driving past.

mossimus
    Free Member

Geronimo, is that the place opposite the Hotel Cosmos?

Never stayed in a hotel before with so many hookers blazenly walking round the hotel touting for business.

Geronimo
    Free Member

It is, and is worth a visit.

There are a lot of attractive ladies in Russia, but I'd be very wary of any of them and suspect that, even if not actually hookers, they'd be extremely high maintenance.

As above, the sleeper trains are an experience. The carriages are run by scary Babushkas who keep an eye on the Samovar and the other passengers are very "Russian".

rOcKeTdOg

that's it, samovar, couldn't think of the name, yes the scary shouty ladies are a laugh a minute too

you'll not be able to sell your jeans/biros/chewing gum these days like i did when i was there

organic355
    Free Member

Must do?

surely a bird called Tatiana must be high on the list?

or Ivana Humpalot?

rOcKeTdOg

it was -22 the other night there, got up to -12 in the day though 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Moscow, must do's please’ is closed to new replies.