Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Morzine bike envy – help me choose a new bike
  • rascal
    Free Member

Currently out in Morzine on my 08 Commencal Meta. TBH I was looking to change it next year anyway as even though there’s nothing wrong with it per se it’s starting to look and feel tired and so much has changed in 7 years. I’ve found myself looking at the ‘enduro’ style bikes people are riding thinking ‘I like the look of that’ etc etc but not to the same put-down degree as honey monster (or whatever his name is on the current Wiggle PSA/Kona thread! I know the ones I’m linking are good well-regarded bikes. I want something around 150-160mm travel that’s still very easy to pedal back up. I think it has to be 650b as that seems to be where it’s all going to settle (not wishing to open another can of works wheel debate here!). Pikes or similar, non-QR back end, 1x 11 (I think!). Was set on Canyon Spectral before coming out but others have made me think (that has 140)….new Orange 5, Canyon Strive, Nukeproof Mega, saw a lovely Transition – Scout sounds like it fits the bill, saw a Radon in the flesh which looked a quality piece of kit too. Budget max £3k but would consider a mint second hand or last year’s model too. I’m in a position where I can do it now – if I don’t I’ll be sat on a really outdated 10 year bike very soon! What would you do? Thanks (off to do final day’s riding on pissing wet trails soon

rickian
    Free Member

Better look at the new issue of singletrack as they have reviewed three 160mm travel bikes.

SirHC

If it was my money, Giant Reign, upgrade the drive train to XT 11speed and have a chunk of money left over.

dknwhy

I’ve got a radon slide 8.0 and I love it.

For your money you could get the carbon version

sideshow
    Free Member

Depending what size you want, last year’s specialized enduro 650b, elite version (1×11) were recently on sale at under £3k. I’ve never ridden one as they don’t make them in XL. Apparently the CCDBInline shocks have had issues on those bike so you’d want to hope it had the issues before warranty was over so they could replace it with rockshox.

nickc

Are you going to buy the bike you wish you are riding on your Morzine holiday right now, or are you wanting a bike for your every day UK riding?

noahhowes
    Free Member

Just been through this myself, I went for the Transition Scout with a Fox 36 reduced to 150mm travel. It’s a great bike, long, fast, stable but with really short chain stays so it’s still nimble around the tighter corners. It’s pretty hard to look past the Canyons and YTs for £2k though. I went with the Scout as I could test ride it first and buy it from a real shop. I don’t think you can go far wrong with any of the new Enduro bikes from Specialized, Trek, Orange, Transition etc, they’re all great.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

add a Cube Stereo TM140 to the list. 13kg and very competent. Doesn’t have the cachet of Transition et al but is excellent value. Not really a Morzine bike but fine for UK at 140R and 150F.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I’m glad I’m not in the market for a new bike at the moment as there’s a raft of bikes that I wouldn’t mind having a blast on. If I had the time and test rides were available, ideally I would like to test ride the Giant
    Reign or the Spesh Enduro to set a baseline. Then try and get rides on other bikes you fancy. My dream tests would include Transition, Knolly, Pivot, Devinci, Orbea, Scott, Mondraker, Rose and YT.

zero-cool
    Free Member

YT Capra, you can get the top specced Capra AL for under £2000 and then you’ve got a grand to go on a winter holiday in Spain (or N+1).
    Theorems nothing on that model that needs changing (apart from for preference). The Carbon one’s aren’t a lot more money if you want carbon either.

scandal42
    Free Member

Whyte G150 looks nice,

kimbers

process 153, ace bike , some might say its overpriced tat though!!

rascal
    Free Member

There’s a few brands there I forgot about – namely Spesh, Giant and Kona.
    Also eyed up a Scott Genius LT but it was carbon – dont want carbon. Can you really get a top spec Capra for £2k? Seems cheap. No idea what most of these cost but the bike has to be right for predominantly UK riding but not get out-of-hand if I brought it to the Alps which based on the last week is likely next year!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Morzine bike envy – help me choose a new bike’ is closed to new replies.