Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • More trail tampering (massive log content).
  • fin25
    Free Member

Was out for my morning ride round the local bridleways when I very nearly went OTB over these beauties!

They were definitely placed there, probably by more than one person, as they were pretty heavy. I managed to move them to one side, but I imagine they will be there again tomorrow.
    They have been very deliberately placed where a cheeky(ish) trail along a ridge re-joins the main bridleway down a steepish slope before a right hand bend under a rail bridge. I imagine someone may have been surprised in the past by a biker maybe going a bit too quick round the bend. Attempted murder hardly seems like a proportionate response though… 😯

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Is the massive log just out of shot? Couple of minutes with a folding saw would have sorted those out. Unless those are 1200b++++ wheels you’re thrashing.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’d have bunny hopped them.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

build a jump

misery gutses will always try and spoil your fun, don’t lose sleep over it (unless it becomes more the wire across the trail type thing)

Attempted murder hardly seems like the intention of the ‘logger’

Milkie
    Free Member

29er would just roll over those. 🙄

bigrich

Subtle, ay?

scotroutes

Seems like an effective way of controlling the speed of cyclists – who should, of course, be able to stop in the distance visible to them – and therefore a mere inconvenience rather than an attempt at endangering life.

fin25
    Free Member

Though I kind of agree, scotroutes, a lot of kids use that trail and I hate the thought of one of them coming a cropper over them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ignore the hate op! It’s pre menstrual Friday it seems…

ads678

I tend to walk away from the trail when i have to drop a massive log…………

fin25
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆

yunki
    Free Member

I did the most massive log of my life yesterday… I shit you not it was 18″ from tip to tail and as straight as an arrow..
    It very nearly made a bid for freedom over the edge of the bowl and has definitely put me ahead of my other half in the ongoing longest log competition 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Why would you not just hop over them?

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

yunki

was there any water left in the bowl, if yes then keep pushing theres more to fill, if no then skills

rOcKeTdOg

Been loads of this happening around the NWAlps lately, they underestimate the mtbers though as most can be ridden over, it does ruin the “flow” somewhat when on one day it’s a clear trail & the next it’s like a tree surgeon convention. I tend to move the logs as far from the trail as possible to discourage it being moved back as I expect the perpertraitors are lazy sods

colournoise

Happening more and more round these parts too.

The odd big log, but more often than not a 30 metre or so stretch of multiple smaller obstacles. The newest trick is thick brambles pulled across the trail at head/chest height and twisted round a tree opposite.

Slowing us down on (occasioanlly) shared trails I kind of understand, but deliberate attempts to harm I don’t. Especially when kids & dogs use the same trails.

martinhutch

The usual to-ing and fro-ing of small boulders placed in the middle of an inocuous little descent on Barden Moor. Normally you can just hop them or use a different line, but someone had made a special effort today, and I wasn’t in a hurry so rolled them away to wind up whoever is doing it. 🙂

Don’t know if it’s estate workers or one particularly angry rambler, but it’s just bizarre.

soobalias
    Free Member

two cuts through the nearest one, leave the larger single one for interest sake.

get some bigger tyres?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Perfectly rideable.

I’m not so sure about a lot of these where people just jump to the conclusion they were deliberately placed there. Trees do come down, in some quite dramatic ways.

p.s. Have to admit I was expecting some big steaming log 😆

wilko1999
    Free Member

Yunki did you have to stand up to ensure it came out in one piece?

My wife sent me a photo of a turd she did last week that blocked our downstairs loo, what a darling (her, not the turd. Although it was very impressive)

slowoldman

I need to know about your wife’s diet. And Yunki’s.

andyl
    Free Member

Yunki, wilko, you guys are sick! Seriously, what is wrong with you? 😆

andyl
    Free Member

I’ll post the safe for work version:

theotherjonv

Some of you have strange wives.

I had an ongoing argument with a do-gooder on a cheeky footpath near me. They continually pulled logs and brush and branches over a short cut of footpath, I kept clearing it off.

In the end I left them a polite note stating that poaching a footpath on a bike is a civil matter between the trespasser and the landowner, and as the land is a small patch of scrubby common land (ie not theirs) then really it was nothing to do with them. Whereas, deliberately blocking a legal right way is a criminal offence. So, if they keep their nose out of the first bit, I’d keep my nose away from informing the police about the second bit.

[don’t know if what i said had any basis in real law, but it did the trick]

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I MTB through the woods. Blow down is just that. We had several like that on the trails and larger. Top tip riding off piste, expect there to be trail obstacles and other people. If you nearly OTB then maybe other users are at risk? Slow down, enjoy.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Don’t these supposedly pro nature ramblers who do these kind of things think ~oh wait a minute bob, if we cut this tree down and put it in the way of cyclists, isn’t that going to do more harm than good for our cause~

fin25
    Free Member

They were definitely not there through the forces of nature.
    To be fair, their presence didn’t upset me because they slowed me down, it was the thought of a local kid on a bso not being able to slow down, jump them or otherwise deal with them safely.

rOcKeTdOg

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘More trail tampering (massive log content).’ is closed to new replies.