Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • more mech stuff… Will a short cage be OK for 11-34 But just as 1×9?
  • tinsy
    Free Member

As in the title really… just not sure if a short cage has enought range for it, or if its more for road cassettes. Info greatly appreciated.

GW
    Free Member

short cage mtb mech? – yes
    SS road mech? – more than likely not (but has been known to work if the frame allows)

nickc

on a 32 chainring? Probably.

IIRC short cage mech are supposed to only be used on clusters with upto 28 teeth, but you’d probably get away with it.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Asked this recently, further research suggests a SLX short cage mech will work up to 34T.

tinsy
    Free Member

ah I see, I know I cant run a road mech on a MTB cassette as the angle it moves is wrong, I really like my 1×9 but would A) like to stop the mech banging about on the frame, and B) be as short as possible..

So I was thinking shaddow and short cage, but maybe medium is a better option.

tinsy
    Free Member

NW Alps Jeyer aka Boz, ah thats what I am hoping for, an SLX or an XT Shaddow…..

You not tried it yet then?

Nikc, but is that still running 2 or 3 rings up front?

mike_check
    Free Member

I have 11-32 with 38 tooth front ring and running a short cage LX mech, works fine, shifting is perfectly crisp all the way through the range.

brakes
    Free Member

I have an 11-34 9-spd XT cassette with a 38T Blackspire unramped ring and an SLX short-cage rear mech

works fine

edit: it’s a medium cage, sorry – looks short though

GW
    Free Member

tinsy – you can run a road mech on an MTB cassette fine, it’s just that on most frames it’ll struggle to run smoothly on anything bigger than a 28T sprocket.
    nic – when runing a single ring up front, chainring size has nothing to do with it.

tinsy
    Free Member

GW yep ive looked at this one, the road mechs dont travel at the right angle to run on MTB cassettes and bind up on the big cogs of MTB cassettes, I would have loved to run a roady mech as there are some lovely looking ones to be had, all the MTB stuff looks a bit naff in comparison.

Sounds good so far, rekon the short cage might do it as I had hoped..

Thanks fellas, but anyone actually using the 11-34t on a 1×9 with a short cage that can let me know for sure I would still appreciate it.

cheers_drive

I run and short cage XT on a 11-34 with a 32 up front no problems

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘more mech stuff… Will a short cage be OK for 11-34 But just as 1×9?’ is closed to new replies.