Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • More landlord regs…
  • matt_outandabout

I just received another email from the council who my scottish landlord registration is with.

It seems that despite a full renovation in 2009, including hard wired smoke alarms in kitchen, living, hallway and entrance hall outside the flat, I now need to add heat sensor to the kitchen.

In addition (although to be fair has been in regs for a while) they are going to check everyone’s evidence that they have actually trained their tenants in how to use said fire alarms, and how to evacuate the (whole) building, not just my flat.

In querying this, I have also been informd the “regulations” that were “negotiable” before, are to now be much more strictly enforced. So things like changing our (100 year old, intumescent stripped’) front door to a full fire door, opening outwards, and that of all the neighbours in the block, at my expense, to meet the “highest possible” standard for fire safety in the building. This is only one of many little things that I could now be asked to do to meet the new regs.

It just feels massively frustrating as we bought this place knowing it exceeded all current regs in 2009, held HMO etc. it is really big, fresh, newly painted place that is actually better maintained than our own house. And now I am possibly facing a bill of £000’s….

I also know of so many other places that are either not maintained or not registered. I can see why with letters and demands such as this, people don’t register.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Landlords are becoming the new easy pickings.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, heat sensor is a must for kitchen nowadays I am afraid especially if it is for business i.e. let or rental property. Just do it. You definitely do not want to deal with more paper works pen pushers.

Remember council is there to justify their position and to support their parasitic living. However, some landlord will try to get away with as much as they can but these are the cowboys.

Yes, as usual I told you lot we have pain in the backside bureaucrats but everyone thinks I have been talking porkies until they have encountered them.

😯

project
    Free Member

A few years ago to rid itself of hmo houses and make it expensive for landlords our clowncil decided all internal doors be fire doors, fire doors are thicker than internal doors so required new frames, and some brick work plastering to fit, so landlords just padded out frames to get doors to fit fitted door closers and intumescent smoke seals, which they shouldnt have done, a foire door and frame is required, but as long as those checking saw intumescent seals and a thick door the job was passed.The voids around the frames where not checked as was the ceiling voids, and a major fire risk halogen downlighters was totally ignored.
    Landlords will find ways round , usually not legal ones and a risk in case of a fire.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘More landlord regs…’ is closed to new replies.