Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Moray Monsters Closures
  • duffrider
    Free Member

Hi,

Has anyone riden moray trails lately? Up this way for a few days hol and had planned to ride them. Forestry site talks of lots of closures on red and blue due to works and tree felling. According to site felling was due to finish late Deb but the notice is still up.

Wondering if there is enough to make a visit worthwhile. Will be traveling up from glen livet – already riden livet and had 2 great days out on Cairngorms.

joshvegas
    Free Member

the red is on a completely different section of forest isn’t it?

Aslong as the gulley monster is open you’re golden*

*no guaratees I’ve only been once. its a fun wee park

duffrider
    Free Member

Thanks joshvegas. Thought you could connect up the red and blues but must be wrong. Gully monster looks short too and maybe not worth the journey for that trail alone.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Please don’t take my word for it you probably can but I *think*

The gulley monster and some of the blues are accessed from a different car park you may be able to cut through on a bike.

But like i say I have only been once.

The gulley monster is short but I found it entertaining on a rigid singlespeed!

kcal

It’s a short thing of beauty – TBH there’s nothing that you’d need a FS bike for in the forest or on the Gully Monster itself – short sharp climbs rather than undulations, doable on a rigid SS as JV says (*)

(*) might have had to get off at couple of sharp turns..

renton
    Free Member

You can link up the monster trails side and also the gully monster side, there is a tunnel under the road that does it.

Gully can be linked with the blue routes as well.

Not sure about the work on the red side but there is a little bit of work going on gully side.

One tree down across gully the other day but apart from that it’s running a treat.

joshvegas
    Free Member

*did get off at a couple of the sharp turns

It was that or end up at the bottom.

kcal

🙂 my endo skills aren’t up to the first one of those turns, and I can’t turn on a sixpence for the other, rising 180o turn 😮

rigid SS as well. bonus points for the night ride.

duffrider
    Free Member

Thanks Renton. Sounds like it is worth the trip up. Is the link route between the sites obvious? Been trying to find a trail map online but no joy.

devs
    Free Member

I rode the whole red and haggis and gulley monster last week or the week before with my pooch. There were trees down but it was all open as far as I could see. There is a tree down on the freeride apparently, I had intended to go clear it this week but not got round to it. Hopefully the forestry will have.
    It’s not Glentress but go with an open mind and it’s a fun few hours.

duffrider
    Free Member

Thanks Renton. Sounds like it is worth the trip up. Is the link route between the sites obvious? Been trying to find a trail map online but no joy.

duffrider
    Free Member

Thanks devs. Sounds like just what we are after. Have a few 50km rides in already this week in Cairngorms and are thinking an easy few hours on the bike will do just fine before a distillery tour and taster on the way home!

renton
    Free Member

Hold up I will take a photo of the map I have ….

Edit… not the best but hopefully you might be able to zoom in……

roverpig

Here’s a link to the pdf

http://www.scotlandmountainbike.co.uk/trailmaps/Monstertrails.pdf

I usually start at the Ordiequish car park and ride Gordzilla to get to the link across to the Red route (just go straight on at the bottom of the fire road, which I think is signposted to the caravan park).

Not been since the latest work though, so not sure what’s open. The plans for upgrades (and a skill;s area) look interesting though.

duffrider
    Free Member

Thanks for the maps and link guys. All set now for a great day out. Really appreciate it.

Cheers
    Al

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Moray Monsters Closures’ is closed to new replies.