Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Moral question of the day….
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Notice last night there was a older BMW parked in the works car park. Rear tyres were bald. I'm not talking tread down to a mm or anything, I'm talking no visible tread on the rear tyres apart from maybe the inside inch.

Now you don't wear tyres down like that quickly so you've gotta start thinking that's no way had an MOT recently (and without sounding too Daily Mail about this…) that kinda starts to imply no insurance either.

So do I

a) drop a friendly note on the car telling him/her and leave it at that

b) pop a note on, check car in a week or two and have a word with the next door traffic cop if tyres not replaced

c) just pop straight next door and get the police to own him/her with bombers?

Don't mind the idiot getting killed in the next rain shower but I'd not like to find out they've wiped somebody else out in their Darwin selection process.

uplink
    Free Member

d) mind your own business

dooosuk
    Free Member

Knife the tyres, then they'll have to buy new ones!

flip
    Free Member

e)surf cycling websites for new stuff.

rOcKeTdOg

F)smash windows and torch it

slowjo
    Free Member

ignore it uplink…. that's what they did in Germany once upon a time and look what happened! (OK a bit of an extreme analogy).

Once upon a time people had a sense of civil duty where they basically looked after each other. Where has that gone now?

donsimon
    Free Member

Works car park- private land.
    Delivered there by trailer.
    Someone in the company left it?

Fail to see the problem.

Call anti-terrorist squad and get it nuked!!!

julianwilson
    Free Member

oh my goodness, Godwin's law in 6 posts about a car!

nickc

My rears were just legal on last MOT, a fail on this years when I had them replaced.

employ rule d.

R979
    Free Member

Could have been doing some circle work. You know? Spinning brodies. Doughnuts.

Moses

b. They may not have noticed they tyres or are hoping they won't be nicked, but bald tyres are unsafe especially in the wet.
    Beemer drivers aren't known for being the most considerate so there's a more-than-average chance of them mowing someone down: if they don't get the tyres seen to it's your civic duty to report, mean as it seems.

Coyote
    Free Member

Reverse the situation.

Imagine you are driving an older car and are on a low income. You genuinely have overlooked your tyres but have recently noticed them. When you get paid in two weeks, they are right at the top of your to-do list. Suddenly someone reports you. Hefty fine, no car. Screwed.

Alternatively it could be some pikey who really couldn't care less about the safety of his car as long as he has got his fag and beer money.

Either way who are you to make the call?

Edit: On reflection, option B.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

nickc – unless the guy does donuts every day for fun (always wondered what those strange black marks in the carpark were…) then there is no way he was 'just' legal last year.

Uplink – would you be the first to complain that nobody had said anything as he slid 2 ton of metal gracefully into the side of you whilst you were riding your bike?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

does it have a tax disc? I'd be tempted to shop him for sure and as for this

Once upon a time people had a sense of civil duty where they basically looked after each other. Where has that gone now?

Looking after people surely includes stopping people from driving dangerous cars? would you shop a drunk driver?

ski
    Free Member

BMW, rwd & bald tyres & private car park, sounds like fun to me 😉

uplink
    Free Member

I have a motorbike current sat in our office car park with absolutely zero tread on either tyre – you can denounce me if you want

PS – it's taxed & insured 😉

toys19
    Free Member

oh my goodness, Godwin's law in 6 posts about a car!

Indeed!

This is just ruddy pedantry, its private land maybe they are storing it there until it goes tot he workshop for next MOT, nobody has broken any laws and there is no evidence that they are about to.

This reminds me of a certain American president who carried Pre-emptive strikes killing gawd knows how many innocents. GET A LIFE

stumpy01

If the car always sits there, then perhaps say nothing as it might be there for storage (or other) as mentioned above.

Otherwise I would do b.

Chances are the person never checks his/her tyres and will get them sorted.
    I noticed someone here has front tyres well below the legal limit and mentioned it, as I'd feel bad if I said nothing and she either had an accident because of them or got stopped by the Police & was done for 2 illegal tyres.

For those who are saying perhaps he's on a low income/waiting 'til pay day etc. I'm sure he/she would rather pay for new tyres than the fine for two illegal ones (which I believe it up to £1000/tyre) or find their insurance is invalid if they have a smash as their tyres were fubared.

PiknMix
    Free Member

It never fails to amaze me the amount of people that just cant help sticking their noses into other peoples business.

Your seriously thinking about getting a traffic officer involved?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Driving a dangerous and illegal car is everybodies business. It could be you he hits.

would you shop a drunk driver? Whats the moral difference?

Junkyard
    Free Member

it amazes me the number of people who will turn a blind eye to drivers ignoring the law [and therefore being a greater risk to everyone]and come up with eleaborate stories/fantasies to explain their poor behaviour in terms of car maintenance/law abidence.
    Note and shop for me

uplink
    Free Member

Driving a dangerous and illegal car is everybodies business

Do you want details of where my motorbike is TJ?

the-muffin-man

A few weeks ago I noticed my neighbours front tyres were worn right down to the canvas on the inside (or whatever it is nowadays!). I deliberated about telling her as she can be a funny cow, but I reasoned that I'd rather tell her and get a mouthful than hear about her having an accident that injured her or someone else.

She thanked me in the end as she was about to go on a 500mile trip a few days later!

I'd leave a note on the window, give them a few weeks…. and then shop them!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

uplink – Member

Do you want details of where my motorbike is TJ?

I am suspecting there is something tricky going on here as I can't believe someone would ride a motorcycle with bald tyres – apart from anything else the handling would be weird as the profiles would be all over.

Got slicks on your road bike?

ski
    Free Member

Driving a dangerous and illegal car is everybodies business. It could be you he hits.

I thought the OP said it was parked up in a private car park?

If it is being used on a public road, then that's a different story

konabunny
    Free Member

shop 'em.

uplink
    Free Member

I am suspecting there is something tricky going on here

Just like the OP – you don't really know you're just putting 2 & 2 together & hoping the outcome is 4

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ski – fair point – I was assuming checking that the car was moved / driven first – as you say no offence when on private land

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My rears were just legal on last MOT, a fail on this years when I had them replaced.

PS – it's taxed & insured

Insurance is invalidated if the car is unroadworthy (i.e. MOT failiure on a safety issue).

Shop him, what if it was your missus driving home infront of him in the rain and has to stop in a hurry? Or your kid crossing the road?

As for keeping your nose out of other peoples business, where do you draw the line, growing dugs, dealing drugs, carrying a gun, plotting a terrorist attack? None of those will in any likelyhood affect me, but I'd still tell the police?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If he's nothing to hide then he wont be bothered, if you report it at least it will flag up on ANPR if he's driving it on the roads.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Definitely report to the police. Remember, cars are dangerous at the best of times, what with the thousands who die or are seriously injured every year, so bald tyres are symptomatic of a general disregard of public safety.

And as for

Imagine you are driving an older car and are on a low income.

Driving a car is a privilege, not a right. So if you can't afford to pay for insurance/MOT/new tyres/whatever other car shit you need: DON"T DRIVE.

U31
    Free Member

I think some people on here need transporting back in time to 1935 Germany.

It's none of your business until it becomes your business.

The only persons who will have to live with the consequences of anything that MAY go wrong, if, perchance the owner is actually guilty of any wrong doing in the first place, are the owner and any aggrieved party.

ASSUME makes an ASS out of U & ME

D0NK

Can't believe the scorn being poured on the OP. If this was some other case of someone having dangerous equipment that could result in injury or loss of life I think everyone would agree the best thing to do would be draw it to the owners attention and then report if it isn't rectified. But because this is a car and it's "a mans right to own and drive a car however the **** he likes" the OPs getting shot down. I don't dislike cars but I really hate our car culture.

*assuming the car is in use not just temporarily stored off road, but as it's a works car park I'd say it's not an unreasonable assumption, doubt my employer would let a car be stored on the CP.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Okay, to clear clear it's not parked up, it was parked – it wasn't there this morning so it's definitely in use.

Carpark is shared with the telesales side of the company so I can get the fact they may be hard up and waiting payday at end of month.

If it's around later when I go home I'll pop a nice note on it just to let them know. Give them the benefit of the doubt in a nice helpful manner. They may well have just brought the car in yesterday with the sole intention of going to tyre place.

Still bald next month may be a different matter. Several people have noticed them even in my team so can't believe something won't be said.

greenboy
    Free Member

Join the police!

Sounds like you notice too many things!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    Works car park- private land.

If the car park has any markings (parking bays, give ways etc) then road laws still apply.

thomthumb
    Free Member

As for keeping your nose out of other peoples business, where do you draw the line, growing dugs, dealing drugs, carrying a gun, plotting a terrorist attack?

what he said

U31
    Free Member

As for keeping your nose out of other peoples business, where do you draw the line, growing dugs, dealing drugs, carrying a gun, plotting a terrorist attack?

what he said

I'd keep my nose out of all of the above, until it directly threatens me.
    As i look out of my window, 20 yard away there is access to trails leading directly to Manchester.
    Cars pull up at all hours at the style. occupants debuss and walk 300 yd in to the shrubbery to meet someone who walks the other way. Hands are shook. They turn around and part.

A total nugget could read what's going on like book. Do i grass 'em? No. i couldnt give a flying F**C what they want to inject, and it isnt harming me in any way whatsoever.

If any of the STW gods little policemen want my address to grass them up, feel free PM me, with the caveat you supply your full name and address.
    Or alternatively, GET A LIFE

hora
    Free Member

Does it look its recently gone over into bald or run for alongtime bald?

I'd just report it. It'd step out viciously in the wet and take someone out.
    Its not snitching its being a good citizen

TJ will be along soon to rubbish the argument/wear me down

thomthumb
    Free Member

No. i couldnt give a flying F**C

maggie must be proud – there is no society

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Moral question of the day….’ is closed to new replies.