Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Montpellier…any one been road/mountain biking there?
  • pinches
    Free Member

Have just received a “save the date” card from my cousin, who will be getting married here in August.

So, i’ll be heading out with half my family in tow, and will more than likely want to escape them over the period of the week (and hopefully the odd bridesmaid)

Does anyone know of any good road or mtb riding out there?

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

Trace gps, ugatawa, and ffc websites have good routes there. Lots of meandering limestone trails, ancient roman farm trails etc.

Have fun.

timb34
    Free Member

The hills north of Montpellier are stuffed full of quiet roads and trails.

There are FFC mountain bike centres (marked trails) around Bassan & Montagnac (west of Montpellier), Lac de Salagou and Gignac (bit further north).

Gignac is also where the local cyclosportive starts/finishes:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3k9jbSfJA[/video]

It’s not far from St Guilhem/Mt St Baudille which looks like this:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLtEKfi5Y1c[/video]

If you’re looking for more local fun then the woods near Clapiers (just north of Montpellier) are popular. The best place to find someone to give you the tour is probably here : http://forum.vtt34.com/

By the way, you do know that it’s probably going to be about 40 degrees C in the shade in August, don’t you?

Diane
    Free Member

Festival of extreme sport at Palavas might be worth checking out if on. Also watch out for pedestrians walking on the roads avoiding the abundance of dog shite on the pavements when coming back from your ride 😐

ocrider

Do visit:

Salagou, Its a nice mince around the lake, here’s a map of the marked trails there.

http://www.rocevasion.fr/vtt/carteVTT.pdf

There is some good gnarr to be shredded too. The freeride section 2 minutes in this vid is just by Salagou. Also the bike park is in Lagamas, next to Gignac. If you like that sort of thing Google Ridekore.

[video]http://vimeo.com/29948623[/video]

Do the trails above St Jean de Fos and St Guilhem le Desert cos you get to ride medieval stuff like this, just not after 10 am in August cos its on the camino de Santiago and heaving with walkers.

Clapiers woods is worth it if you are staying in the city or east of it, but you wouldn’t need a guide because most of the trails loop back onto the fire roads. On the plus side, you can be extremely lazy by catching the flowery tram out to Jacou and in a short ride, your’e in the woods.

If your’e on the south side of the city the Gardiole is the spot (big hill overlooking the med between Mtp and Sete), but you would need to be led around the good bits, loads of hidden singles.

I wouldn’t suggest the FFC site at Bessilles (Montagnac) unless you are staying right next to it. Many of the way-marked routes are 60% tarmac. Did it with the family, wouldn’t have bothered alone or with mates.

Plenty of road routes and stuff on this blog

The FISE is in Montpellier on the banks of the Lez, however its in May so you wont get to see Dhers, Bezanson and Co displaying their radness. Tant pis.

FYI Dog poo is now available in little black binbags in the gutter.

pinches
    Free Member

excellent information!

I haven’t considered weather to take the mountain bike or the road bike – i’ll be riding on my own, and I currently only have a 100mm XC race hardtail, which i was planning on breaking in a few months and building a Yeti.

By the way, you do know that it’s probably going to be about 40 degrees C in the shade in August, don’t you?

really? i didn’t know that, i had read the wiki for montpellier and it hadn’t suggested anything near as hot as that.

fennesz
    Free Member

Anyone want to meet up for a spot of VTTing? I’m between Beziers/Pezenas & do nearly all road riding at the moment. My Heckler & Singular are hung up in the garage but I’d like to have some dirt time.

ocrider

I’d be game for a ‘monotraces monde’ meetup down our way.
    Just got to finish building my shiny new Scandal over the weekend so I can go and dirty it on the red stuff.

BTW, I’m in the big smoke.

fennesz
    Free Member

Cool, give me a shout when you’re ready to roll.

scientificcalculator at hotmail dot com

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

fennesz, I’m trying to find a nice gites/apartment for a week in July around Pezenas. Love to bring the soul with me and hook up for a ride.

fennesz
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge cool – drop me a line & we’ll hook up. TdF-wise, 14th July is a local sprint finish, so a good weekend to be here 🙂

cchris2lou

I will be home in Millau ( 1 hour north of montpellier ) in august if you fancy riding that way . lots of ups and dons with great singletracks .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Montpellier…any one been road/mountain biking there?’ is closed to new replies.