Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Monkfish dinner suggestions please
  • stayhigh

Morning All

We went for a nice long walk along the coast yesterday and brought a nice bit of monkfish from the harbour.

I’m cooking dinner it for tonight and was planning on either rubbing it with paprika then wrapping it in some parma ham or steaming with garlic and ginger?

I was going to serve this with a broad bean, french bean, chorizo & shallot salad and we have scallops and cervettes for starters.

Would you, wouldnt you?

Cheers all 🙂

j_me
    Free Member

Too much going on with the paprika ham AND ginger garlic ?

If i’s straight from the harbour I would cut it into medallions and cook it in a court bouillon. Keeps it really simple. Will go nice with the salad.
    Yummy enjoy.

stayhigh

It was a choice between the paprika ham OR garlic ginger not together lol

Court bouillon is a stock right? If you were doing it as home made rather then shop brought what would you use?

warton
    Free Member

brush with an oil and thyme mix and chargrill? a heavy cast iron grill pan works a treat

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah I think chargrilling/BBQing monkfish works well.

I would do something similar to either of your suggestions for seasoning though.

Or a green curry works well with monkfish.

j_me
    Free Member

Oooops missed the OR there!

Yes its a simple light stock thats made slightly acidic with either lemon juice and/or white wine. Complex Gordon Ramsay recipe here but make it up with whatever you’ve got. Batch it up and freeze it.

Yeah chargrilling/BBQ would be nice too.

stayhigh

I was thinking of just popping it in the oven but chargrilling sounds quite nice. I quite like green curry but only had one a couple of days back.

Thanks for link j_me and other suggestions too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

BTW – have you ever seen what a monkfisk looks like?

You wouldn’t want a whole one on your plate 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

TBH – monkfisk is a bit like prawns – you can get away with very little seasoning and often simpler is better.

j_me
    Free Member

Yeah they are ugly MoFo’s.
    Did you get him whole ? If so don’t forget the cheeks (would go well with the starter)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTpUVAcvWfU[/video]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How the bloody hell do I embed video????

j_me
    Free Member

just use the youtube url from your browser, don’t use the embedded URL.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

YAY!

You wouldn’t think I worked in the interweb industry would you LOL!

stayhigh

They certainly aint pretty are they lol

They had some whole ones there but we got them to prep ours so just have a nice large fillet. I would have liked to have done it myself but my knives are rubbish and would be better using a spoon.

For the salad I was planning on lightly softening the beans, chorizo, shallots in a pan with olive oil and a little butter. The fish would then be served on that.

If chargrililng, roughly how long would it take if wrapped in parma ham? The fillet is 450g BTW.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Thai green curry using Monkfish is a nice easy tasty dish.

magowen100
    Free Member

I’m doing this for lunch – might not be the best idea for a large dinner but tastes amazing.

rewski
    Free Member

Wrap it in parma is delicious.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNrwmk2RIk[/video]

BigJohn

Is it just me who thinks monkfish doesn’t actually taste of much?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

BigJohn,

It’s not just you. Must be just about the blandest fish there is.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Steam with ginger and spring onions them pour on a 50/50 mix of sesame oil and light soya sausce

stayhigh

In the finish I rubbed the fillets with paprika and wrapped them in parma ham. I then put them in the fridge for an hour or so while I prepped everything else. The fish was then lightly fried in some olive oil and then put in the oven for about 15 mins.

Our starter was scallops with chorizo for Mrs Stayhigh and crevettes with garlic and thyme for me both served on a bed of rocket which was very nice.

We had a salad of broad beans, french beans, flageolet beans, shallots and chorizo which was softened in a pan while the fish was cooking. Some butter was added just prior to serving and then some parmesan grated on top.

The fish was sliced when cooked and served on top of the salad and it was all blooming lovely 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Monkfish dinner suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.