Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • monitoring stw thread updates
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

There are a number of STW threads that I like to keep an eye on, but are rarely updated. I have two methods, one is browser bookmarks with occasional looks, and the other is browser tabs with occasional looks.

Is there a better way? Some way I can get notified when an update occurs?

wwaswas

tick

(that was a useful feature of the old forum)

Jamie
    Free Member

I believe it was between thread notifications or a share button.

A choice was made.

But more helpfully I had a IFTTT recipe that monitored the RSS feed on threads I was monitoring, and email updates. Will dig it out when home….assuming the forum hasn’t broken it and it worked on threads I hadn’t started.

nedrapier

add those topics to your favourites? depends whether you use that favourites for anything else – not much help if you favourite a lot for future reference, music threads to listen to when you’re at home, that sort of thing.

If you only use it for the number you want to keep an eye on, it should do the job nicely.

Jamie
    Free Member

OP is looking for something to notify him of updates, tho.

Edit: Just checked. IFTTT works still. Got an email notification from last posts.

To get the RSS feed of a thread, just put RSS between forum and topics.

URL: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/monitoring-stw-thread-updates

RSS: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/rss/topic/monitoring-stw-thread-updates

Then plug it into IFTTT’s RSS feed reader, setting the output to email etc.

rossburton
    Free Member

Add to favourites and then subscribe to the RSS feed in your preferred RSS reader (along with other good news sources too, of course).

I set up ifttt a few weeks back to monitor the RSS feed and DM me on twitter for instant gratification, but sadly twitter doesn’t notify for messages to yourself so that doesn’t work. But the feed monitoring still works, so sending an email would solve the problem.

AlexSimon

rossburton. How do you get an RSS of just your favourites?

DezB
    Free Member

Ohh, just seen that clicking on the “?” at the end of “Add this topic to your favourites” takes you to your favourites. That’s good.
    (Doesn’t help OP though)
    Er, sorry “Favorites” 😕

Cougar

I find this handy:

https://getpocket.com

Jamie
    Free Member

Does pocket update you when a new reply is made, Cougar?

Edit: Ok…time to turn the IFTTT Applet off as spamming myself now. Jesus…imagine setting it for the brexit/trump threads. 😯

rossburton
    Free Member

The RSS feed for posts to your favourite threads is http://singletrackworld.com/forum/rss/profile/USERNAME. For some reason I can’t seem to see the links on the forum anywhere.

theotherjonv

make your forum history a favourite. Won’t tell you when a thread has a response to it as some of the other ways can but enables you to see which have been updated since you last visited / posted.

AlexSimon

rossburton – amazing!
    That does exactly what I want!

I assumed it would show posts I’d posted in, but no – it’s favourited threads. Perfect!

Jamie
    Free Member

Now I see it, I remember I used the favourites RSS feed, that Ross mentions, for notifications. Was handy for sale threads, so you didn’t have to keep checking them. Just add it to favs, plug the RSS feed into IFTTT, and be notified when you got a response.

Cougar

Does pocket update you when a new reply is made, Cougar?

No, I use it for things I want to read later but don’t want a permanent bookmark.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Good info. Thanks everyone.

As we seem to be using favourites, does anyone know how to delete all of them? Mine seem to be running at 16 pages! Could do with a spring clean.

Cougar

Which browser?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Firefox. But I don’t mean my browser favourites, I mean my STW favourites.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘monitoring stw thread updates’ is closed to new replies.