Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Money in Europe.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I haven't popped over the channel for a while now, so I'm a bit out of touch, but I've got a holiday coming up. Do I still have to buy Euros here before I go, or can I simply slot my Debit card into any ATM in Spain and get cash? (I realise this might be a bit too hopeful).

All advice, as ever, etc… 😀

belgianbob

I'd buy it here, it'll be cheaper, but you can always top up abroad from an ATM.

Stoner
    Free Member

your bank will charge a % for cash withdrawls unless you are with nationwide, but even they are pulling free € withdrawls this autumn. Your bank may also charge a fixed fee per transaction as well.

Check your bank's terms online.

steve-g
    Free Member

I think using your card in the ATM will be cheaper, but because you are english you wont be able to help yourself and you will end up sorting it out here and carrying a stupid amount of cash around with you the whole time

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks guys.

but because you are english you wont be able to help yourself and you will end up

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

mieszko
    Free Member

Whenever I go home and want to use the ATM Lloyds charges me £2-3 depending on the amount I'm withdrawing. So don't withdraw small amounts like £10 but go for more. I can use only some ATM's that have a Visa sign, because some banks appear not to accept foreign Visa debit cards (I can still pay with it no problem). However if I use my mastercard credit card than I can withdraw from any ATM and also pay for everything in shops. but as with some credit cards I get charged double, so the normal charge for withdrawing cash and second charge for withdrawing cash abroad.

Just need to be aware that somehow my details managed to get stolen and had two nasty surprises when I got to UK. Bank was very helpful and everyhting was resolved quickly and problem free. I now use my credit card when abroad as they can steal the banks money if they want 🙂

Torminalis
    Free Member

Go with the ATMs but withdraw a reasonable amount as it is a fixed fee. Much cheaper than a beureau de change, ATMs worked out about 2%, b-d-c worked out about 15%!

steve-g
    Free Member

What i meant was that the best value way is to take money out once you are there, a small fee per transaction but you get the banks FX rate, saves you a fair bit unless you are taking out tenners every couple of hours.

Its more convenient as you dont have to go to the post office or wherever, its safer as you dont have to carry all your spending money hundreds of miles with you, and everyone i work with who is foreign do this without thinking about it, whereas for all the natives Going to get the holiday money is the first thing on their to do list before they go away

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you have a Nation Wide current account, use your debit card. Any time before November, they're not charging for European withdrawals providing you have funds.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Money in Europe.’ is closed to new replies.