Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Modern MTB videos are rather ‘pretty’ aren’t they…
  • DrP

As i sit here watching ‘Life Cycles’ (free on red bull TV) with the ridiculously early morning weakening toddler, having watched ‘Strength in numbers’ (also free on RBTV!) i’m Taken back by how pretty and majestic the cinematography is…

In comparison to the early MTB videos of the 90s, which seem to just be handicam footage of DH races (!), modern vids are great!
    Amazing scenery, fantastic use of steady-cam and drones for sweeping shots.. you could almost compare them to ‘planet earth’ for showing the beauty of this planet!

Not ‘Deathgrip’ however – that’s rubbish…!

Also – who owns the land they build all the trails on? It’s a lot of effort building trails and north shore if you don’t own the land..is the council/landowner ‘there’ jsut more forgiving?

DrP

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Pretty but dull.

Bring back Earthed is what I say.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s already a backlash with those Pie videos and similar handheld, fisheye lens efforts.

Personally I reached “peak edit” some time ago and can’t watch any bike videos unless there’s some kind of story now. It’s all just noise otherwise.

PS. I can still watch Earthed of course. The classics are the classics.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Yeah just watch earthed, best music, best everything. Although the bikes look dated – pre 2010 boxers, narrow handlebars, small wheels and baggy Moto gear 😀

DezB
    Free Member

There was that video of the 4 wheel cart fella at Whistler posted on here the other day – production on that video was outstanding, really impressive. But then the shitty heavy rock soundtrack was like Earthed never happened!

nickc

I remember being wowed by the collective series back whenever they happened. I think everyone picked up their game after those came out.

Earthed are unwatchable

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They seem to have forgotten about fun.

Every spring, the boyz get together for a pre season workout…..

nickc

really? Have you watched the Death-grip section with Bryceland and Faircolough riding down Schladming? They look dead serious….

submarined
    Free Member

Scott Secco is a master of the modern MTB video IMHO – beautifully shot, brilliant audio highlighting the bikes and using music to great effect, and incredible camera work.

Videos from 10 years or so as a genuine rule just look amateurish and don’t get my attention at all. However, it seems that some people like them, as everyone seems to rave about Caldwell Visual’s ‘FISHEYE LENSE! PUNK! SHORT PANNING SHOTS! NAKED BUMS! WEED!’ videos.

chakaping
    Free Member

You wouldn’t think of sticking a bit of goth on a bike video, but it works. Worth checking out Peaty looking like he’s on a kids’ bike at the end too…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2hs63v2dMA[/video]

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gimme the sweary northerners any time…

Digby

who owns the land they build all the trails on?

Much of that era of MTB films were shot in British Columbia etc and the land is ‘Crown Land’*, which means anyone is free to use it and mountain biking is seen as an important and legitimate recreational activity.

*apart from some of the Vancouver North Shore areas – which are often built on private land and have therefore become contentious.

*and the obligatory Whistler Blackcomb segment as WB were frequently major sponsors

I always rather liked the ‘Earthed’ series. I thought Alex Rankin captured something quite raw and the ‘post-punk’ soundtrack often added a little extra. 8) But maybe that’s just my age showing!

He does like ‘The Fall’ though doesn’t he? 😉

tdog
    Free Member

Bring back a remastered chainspotting on dvd please for the love of bikes

nwmlarge
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Every spring, the boyz get together for a pre season workout…..

I had this converted from VHS to digital and It’s still as good as it ever was.

sharkattack

He does like ‘The Fall’ though doesn’t he?

Tim March used to pick all the tunes for the Earthed series I think.

The first video that blew my mind was Sprung 2. Like Dirt magazine changed writing and photography, Sprung revolutionised video. We wore out the VHS.

It looks crap nowadays though.

Digby

Tim March used to pick all the tunes for the Earthed series I think.

Ah yes – I think you are right cone to think of it.

I might have to dig out some of the old Earthed stuff this weekend to see how well it’s aged …

Rorschach
    Free Member

Can’t watch modern ‘edits’,they all look like Audi commercials.
    Can’t watch the 50:01/Cadwell “eiiiiiiii sweeeeeeeeeeeeee maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate” ones come to think of it.
    Come to think of it…..I can’t watch MTB films.

hairyscary

Bring back Earthed is what I say.

I still watch them every now and again, 4 and 5 are brilliant.

Modern stuff, ‘Vital Raw’ is the best by far for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Earthed breaks a lot of (cinematography) rules, and not in a good way, in a ‘barely watchable if you have ever been told how to use a video camera’ way.

People mock media studies graduates, but at least they know this stuff.

The soundtrack is a bit intense too, fine for a night out, doesn’t really work when you’re sat on the sofa.

DrP

doesn’t really work when you’re sat on the sofa.

That sums it up niceley.. the 2 vids i quoted in my OP are great for just watching ‘in the background’..

If you want a real Oldskool vid, find a copy of ‘Jib’ – I quite like that one!

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

When I said: like Earthed never happened, I think I meant The Collective. Actually, looking here, I’m sure I did.

Andy_K

I watched Deathgrip on hols and thought it was awful apart from the Medera bit at the end, it was so cringe in places.

Recently watched Where the trail ends on Bike channel and it was a really good watch.

Generally think the Collective have the best back catalogue by some margin, although Not Bad was pretty good, and that new Dimondback Skids vid is quite special.

AlexSimon

If you liked Life Cycles, then these are brilliant too:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYX9VtOIl1c[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxmzX1Ev1w4[/video]

jonba
    Free Member

A classic

DezB
    Free Member

new Diamondback Skids vid is quite special

Bloody great (for an advert!)

Video: Two Minutes Of Inspiration

benpinnick

So many Mike H films mentioned and no Loam Ranger…. We can fix that though….https://vimeo.com/48784297

colp

UnReal is my current favourite, quite like Not2Bad too.

Wookster

]I love this….

Flow State

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Modern MTB videos are rather ‘pretty’ aren’t they…’ is closed to new replies.