Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Modern-day oval rings – have they proved themselves yet?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Are they now worth running or are will they join Shimano’s efforts in the 90s as waste of time?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bit late for the daily oval ring thread.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Bit late to the whole shebang I suspect…

mrblobby
    Free Member

🙂

Some like them and think there’s benefit.
    Some like them and can’t tell the difference.
    Some don’t like them and can’t tell the difference.
    Some don’t like them and think there’s no benefit.

Personally I quite like them. Think there is a benefit in reduced fatigue for longer harder efforts. I’ve got them on the time trial bike and am playing around with them on the XC bike.

Oh and the orientation of the oval is completely different to the old Biopace, with a different purpose too.

Northwind

I’m in column b there, absolute black. Very pretty, light, not quite as good chain retention as my Works roundy rings, can’t really tell any other difference but maybe I’m just going faster. Going to put one on the fatty to see if it stops me bouncycastling up the hills.

andyfla
    Free Member

put some on my road bike this year – cant notice on the big ring but on the small ring it seems to make the hill climbing a touch smoother- I never feel I am stamping on the pedals

So I am

Some like them and think there’s benefit

– and am putting them on my new gravel bike (new niche, new bike !)

Personally would put them on a new mtb or when I change the chainsrings again

nickc

I’ve just bought one, at the moment I’m hoping to be in column A, but most likely I’ll fall into B…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Mrblobby and Andy, which type you got on your TT/road bike?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Rotor Q rings on the TT bike.

andyfla
    Free Member

Rotor q rings on dura ace crank on the road bike

schmiken

Search button? Also, column A. MTB, SS, road bike and training bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Finally got around to fitting a 34t AB oval ring on the XC bike. Couldn’t tell the difference when pedalling (much like on the road bikes.) Though did surprisingly feel a bit faster (not terribly scientific!) and did find I was able to hold on to the 11t a bit longer than I’d expect to on some harder upslope efforts on very familiar trails. Shall experiment some more. No chain drop either over plenty of roots so the narrow wide seems to work well on them too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Modern-day oval rings – have they proved themselves yet?’ is closed to new replies.