Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • MNPR November 21st – Newbie Night Rider / Getting The Band Back Together Edition
  • Harry_the_Spider

A while off yet, but this one requires a bit of planning.

We were having a chat at the top of a big hill in the dark, as you do, and the topic of fallen comrades and mates new to MTBing came up. So, let’s have a session where we bring the band back together and get out some people who have never, or rarely, ridden in the dark before.

We’ll go from the Church Inn in Prestwich because there is nothing too stupid round there and we all know the route, and we’ll back off the usual blistering pace* a bit.

So if you fancy dipping your toe into night riding or have been struck down with cant-be-arsed-itis this is the time to make an appearance. We’ll do about 20km in 2 hours. Nobody will get dropped.

Church Inn, Prestwich
    M25 1AJ
    8:15 blast off
    Bring money for beer

*Not really that blistering

wittonweavers
    Free Member

i’ll be there… probably!

binners

I’ll be…erm…. HERE!!!! 😀

Bregante

wittonweavers

Who?

Bregante

Oh and yes.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Will this suit someone who hasn’t ridden a bike in over 12 months, put on a stone, started smoking again but has now stopped again and the thought of actually getting on his newly built bike* is putting the fear of God in him?

*When I eventually get time to finish the thing.

Harry_the_Spider

Blue arse, this is exactly who it is aimed at.

dazh

Maybe if we all aim to bring a friend?

And on the subject of getting bands back together, when and where are we doing xmas drinks?

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

Balls to it, I’ll be there.

MrSparkle

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Blue arse, this is exactly who it is aimed at.

Outstanding. Just need someone to pick the girls up from gymnastics that night (and finish my bike) and I will be there.

binners

Will this suit someone who hasn’t ridden a bike in over 12 months, put on a stone, started smoking again

You’ll still be quicker than me. 😀

I’ve definitely lost my riding mojo of late. The can’t-be-arsedness has taken over. I’m hoping some dry, dusty trails, and glorious sunshine, will rekindle my love of two wheels again. I’ve bought myself new lights, and everyfink

stcolin
    Free Member

I’m a maybe 🙂 Would be nice to get out on the Monday night rides again.

mintimperial

Oooh, my knackered leg should hopefully be working more-or-less properly by then, I shall do my damnedest to make it out.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Had to sell my bike last year when the cost of moving house went mental with unforeseen engineers reports/knotweed/roof repairs. Kept hold of my lights etc and only just been able to get started building another bike.

I’m dreading finding out how unfit I actually am.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I had a gigantic bout of Cantbearseditis at the weekend. Will this cure my problem, d ya think?

Harry_the_Spider

without a doubt.

dazh

without a doubt.

I’ve been fighting it for 3 bloody months and Monday nights are one of the few things that I’ve managed to stick at. I don’t want to miss the day Binners actually turns up instead of being a tease.

duncancallum

I’ll start on the man up pills.

I’m in.

What’s the update on the pie crisis

Harry_the_Spider

not good news i’m afraid 🙁

mintimperial

What’s the update on the pie crisis

If the landlord can’t sort something out I’m fully prepared to fill the back of the van with pies if necessary.

duncancallum

I can see one of us with a trench coat and a shifty stare muttering “does sir need any meat”

dazh

Meanwhile we still need a venue for next week and the one after, just in case you lot hadn’t noticed the date on this.

This is supposed to be for newbies who are interested in coming out but are scared of the dark or our fearsome reputation. I promise to make a special effort to smile and talk to someone instead of just putting my head down and buggering off. Although that depends on the weather of course 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

How about Piethorne Reservoir from The Beach, because they don’t like taking our money at The Whine Press?

Bregante

Ooh what’s happened at the Wine Press? Always seemed okay when we’ve been in previously?

dazh

The beach? Which one’s that?

dazh

They always close early. nothing personal, just depends if they’re busy. Although the manager looked pretty pissed off when we trooped in there last time covered in shite at 10.15 when he’d already washed the floor.

Todmorden’s always an easy one though. We have so many alcoholics here the pubs stay open past midnight even on a Monday. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

It closes before we get back or the staff all hide under the bar until we drive off.

The Beach is the one on the other side of the lake near the sailing club.

mcnultycop

I keep saying I’ll make one of these but breaking bones, laziness, being fat and working away keep conspiring against it.

Just started a new contract so this one seems unlikely, but I’ve pencilled it in.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Maybe if we all aim to bring a friend?

You think we all have one?

binners

you’re not allowed in the Beach unless you’re in a Corsa playing happy hardcore and have got some really bad tattoos of your kids name in Latin script. Preferably on your neck

duncancallum

I’m also happy to do a brinscal or rivvy route.

Though we’ve not done Darwen for a while

dazh

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/edit.php?id=8062806

Lets do Rivi/Darwen the week after.

Harry_the_Spider

Just bumped into Tony (tanglewood from here IIRC) in Tesco. A former MNPR semi regular.

He’s in.

We need to try and get everyone who has ever done an MNPR out along with as many newbies as possible.

Bregante

Is he still unfeasibly tall?

Harry_the_Spider

Dunno, couldn’t see the top of his head due to low cloud.

tthew

We need to try and get everyone who has ever done an MNPR out

OK, I’ll do my best, but what with velodrome trips, BMX the week after and organising a cyclocross race, I’m on the verge of taking the piss at home.

Harry_the_Spider

Bump.

stwhannah

Pretty sure this route was my first ever MNPR. My new lime green shorts got so covered in orange mud that even after multiple washes it looked like I had had a nasty accident with some dodgy food. And I only had a bar mounted light that pointed slightly to the right, making every left hand corner a leap into the unknown. Will commence negotiations on getting a pass out (though husband’s birthday might get in the way…).

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

I’m out again. Got a rugby coaching course to attend.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘MNPR November 21st – Newbie Night Rider / Getting The Band Back Together Edition’ is closed to new replies.