Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • MNPR – 10 July – Le Tour de Edenfield Road Bike Edition
  • Harry_the_Spider

The Farmers Arms, Simister
    M25 2SU
    7:30 (note the earlier time)

45k road ride taking in Ashworth Valley, Edenfield and Ramsbottom, including The Rake. You will need lights even with the earlier start time.

Clean bikes with Sunday best colour coded lycra. Obviously. We’re not savages.

Bring your baggies to change into if you want to go to the pub to avoid a WienerFest™ and upsetting the locals.

Parking can be a bit “iffy”, but there should be space on Simister Green about 50 yards past the pub on your left.

If you get off the motorway at J19 your sat nav will try and send you down a farm road. I’d go for J17 if you value your suspension.

Additionally there is a reccy ride at 6:00am on Saturday morning if anyone wants to join in.

Sandwich

Binners suits pink!

Harry_the_Spider

In fairness, many of us have a Pantani Parting.

binners

I’ll be running alongside you at the top of the Rake, Frenchman at Le Tour stylee. So…. with a cowbell. In my Speedo’s

Harry_the_Spider

I would buy a “Lycra-Clad Freak” T shirt.
    Right now.
    Take my money.

RustySpanner

What was the average pace of the last road ride you lot did?

I remember getting my legs pulled off a few years ago, surely you’re all fatter and less fit now?

Harry_the_Spider

21.8 km/h apparently. But it did include Cragg Vale.

https://www.strava.com/activities/637851977

RustySpanner

That’s faster than my current hilly 9mph average innit?

Ah’moot.
    😐

Harry_the_Spider

For those doing the Dawn Patrol tomorrow morning the weather looks dry and sunny with very little wind. Perfect.

Let me know if you are out so that there is no unnecessary hanging about at the start.

dazh

I’m still planning on meeting you at the start of the Ashworth Road climb around 6.30ish. Considering I struggled to get out of bed before 8am this morning it should prove an interesting challenge. I’ll text if I’m going to be late or whatever. If I’m not there don’t hang about though, I’ll catch you up.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Balls, I’m in Wales on Monday night otherwise I’d have been well up for this. Will keep an eye out for any further road based MNPRs!

Harry_the_Spider
    Harry_the_Spider

Who is out then?

The weather forecast is cloudy but dry, 15°C and 5-11 mph wind.

We will be passing Chez Binners at around 8:30 where he has promised to heckle us like a pissed Dutchman on le alpe d’huez.

Also, if we get slagged off by some small children near the start they are mine.

Bregante

Provided I get away from work I’m in.

I have it on good authority that Mrs binners may even have some refreshments on hand half way up the Rake.

Harry_the_Spider

I won’t be stopping. I shall wheeze past muttering Stra-va Stra-va Stra-va in time with my slowing cadence.

horridge
    Free Member

I’ll be there for the 19.30 start. Coming straight from work.

Bregante

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    I won’t be stopping. I shall wheeze past muttering Stra-va Stra-va Stra-va in time with my slowing cadence.

binners

I have it on good authority that Mrs binners may even have some refreshments on hand half way up the Rake.

You say that, but the above picture could be startlingly accurate. We’ve a fridge full of pork pies after getting more than a tad carried away with the pastry products order on Saturday.

4 each before heading up the Rake?

tthew

Even though it’s my anniversary* I’ve been gifted permission to attend. Looking forward to it.

*It’s not, I’m not married, but it’s a long time to the next official present receiving opportunity so SWMBO has today designated as such.

Harry_the_Spider

Not the Smoked Ham and Cheese Pie I hope. That was so awesome that it will stop me dead in my tracks. I felt as sick as a pike yesterday because I ate too much pie and cheese.

The only food that I will be taking on mid-Rake will be Tangfastic delivered by a catapult.

binners

Thats my mate Al who cooked the Smoked Ham and Cheese Pies for Saturday night. His pies are a thing of beauty and wonder. He does an awesome takes-no-prisoners Tasty Lancs and Chilli pie too. Mmmmmmmmm……. pie…….

dazh

But what about our strava times?

Harry_the_Spider

See earlier comment regarding catapults.

Bregante

I doubt that the majority of us will be troubling the leaderboard from the annual hill climb event…

scaled
    Free Member

I’m in a quandary, which bike?

Nice bike or the one with full guards

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Im unconvinced that these will assist your strava time up the rake…

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Me and Tony will ride down to Simister and then later depart the grand tour at Ainsworth.

Harry_the_Spider

How will we recognise you?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Ill be at the back…

binners

I’ll sit out the front and wait for the peloton….

edhornby

Gah, can’t make it as I was at Northern Grip on sat so wont get a pass tonight 🙁 see you soon hopefully

binners

The peloton just came past. I know it’s a rest day on the tour, but you’d never have known the difference

binners

It’s an impressive sight…

[video]https://youtu.be/dl0yk8vWTrI[/video]

tthew

Like salmon swimming up stream. 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Really enjoyed that.

It had all the components for a good ride.

A big bunch
    Beautifully turned out kit and bikes
    A reasonable climb
    A nasty climb
    58 kph top speed
    Setting off a speed warning sign
    Hecklers with squeaky toys
    Some suffering (but not mine)
    A few pints

We should do it again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1077371695

I’ll be out for a 6:00am dawn patrol on Saturday if anybody wants to join me.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘MNPR – 10 July – Le Tour de Edenfield Road Bike Edition’ is closed to new replies.