Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Minimum flue height for a log burner exiting a single story dwelling?
  • granny_ring

The flue is exiting through the wall and runs up past the eves by about 1.5 – 2m. The ridge tiles are about another 1.5m higher.
    So the height from ground level to top of flue I reckon is 3.5 – 4m at a guess.
    Does that sound like it would pass as a legit installation?

martinhutch
    gobuchul
    Free Member

There are specified minimum distances specified in Document J . It can be hard to follow.

However, there are a lot of companies that will spec whats required if you put your measurements in whic comply with the regs.

They are trying to sell you something and some only give you a cost for the complete system and not a breakdown of which parts are actually required.

These are worth a try

http://www.fluecalc.co.uk/

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/workshop-stove-flue-system.html

granny_ring

Yes England. I’ll have a look at those links thanks.
    A neighbour has had a stove fitted and the flue height looks a little low so just wanted to check.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

From what you describe it doesn’t seem tall enough. If a stove manufacturer states it can less than 4.5m from top of stove, then that would be ok, quite a few of the Contura stove range only require 3.5m.
    If bends are added, then extra height would be required.
    If the neighbours stove is a smoke nuisance, have a quiet word, if no joy then shop him to your local council.

granny_ring

Spot on twinwall.
    Not one for peeing on others fires, so to speak, but when out in the garden the smoke was billowing and pretty unpleasant.
    I just wanted to be armed with correct info before I popped round for a chat. Mind you I’ve not found out from the regs that the guys linked above, must have missed it.
    The flue is 10″ twinwall and is at 45 degree coming out of the wall then straight up.

pedropete

4.5m , measured from the top of the stove is what AD J recommends, which I’m sure is what the council would look for, if you were to get them involved

granny_ring

Just remembered that even though it’s mainly a ‘single story’ they had an extension added where they excavated down to make that part 2 story and the stove is in the lower room of the extension so maybe the flue is 4.5m?

Even if that is correct I can’t see how it would pass regs as it is with the smoke affecting our gardens as it does.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

And how is it affecting your gardens? The smoke should only last for 10 – 20 mins whilst warming up unless they are using wet wood. If that’s the case just have a word with them rather than grassing them up to the local council.

granny_ring

My intention is to speak to them about it first, but if I’m armed with the correct info before I can advise them if they weren’t to know…..

I’m not sure how long the smoke was going on for but tbh I don’t see why us or the other neighbours should be affected by it no matter how long it is?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Minimum flue height for a log burner exiting a single story dwelling?’ is closed to new replies.