Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Milk in a bladder, on a ride?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So a mate of mine turns up today for a 22 mile Lakes ride with a Dakine bladder full of milk. (cos he’d read it was good for you, of which I have no doubt)

He drank it all before it curdled but what’s the concensus on here?

He’s the sort of lad who believes everything he reads but nothing you tell him.

PS, I kept quiet cos I hadn’t checked on here.

rob81
    Free Member

That sounds gross!

steezysix
    Free Member

iain1775
    Free Member

Why would you cart a load of milk around with you when trails are littered with ride-trough cows?

buck53

Wouldn’t be for me, I need something hydrating/refreshing when I’m out. If it’s what he wants to do, I can’t imagine it’ll do any harm, but I can’t think of what the benefit would be by drinking it during the ride, after the ride is another matter of course.

scotroutes

I’ve ridden with – and drank – chocolate milk on a few occasions. Very refreshing it is. Always in a bottle though, never a bladder.

seavers
    Free Member

I’m all for drinking milk but on a ride? F that. Only ever have water in my bladder.After a ride I wash it out and shove in the freezer until next time. Not sure how long it would be before a milk bladder and tube would get pretty funky. If you need something more than water a bottle would be better.

djglover
    Free Member

Bitty?

nick1962
    Free Member

Sure I read that skimmed milk is ideal for rehydration and as good any of these fancy isotonic sports products.Wouldn’t be my choice on a ride though,only after.

tomhoward

Show him an article that says drinking your own pee is good for you. Really test his resolve….

As a recovery drink, milk is ace. As a mid ride drink it’s rubbish, due to the fat content.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Dad swears by a glass of milk, sadly he has Parkinson’s so by the time gets the glass to his lips it has turned to cheese.

Hmmm. Dunno if that’s true or false Drac but my Dad also had Parkinsons & had a miserable time cos of it & died of a related issue. Thanks for reminding me though.

Anyway, back to the ‘milk in a Dakine bladder’ bit.

JEngledow
    Free Member

From the title I thought this was going to be about some nasty STD and your saddle induced milky discharge!

Drac

Sorry Essel I forget my work humour isn’t always appreciated everywhere so I’ve deleted it.

binners

Has nobody else done the Horlicks or ovaltiine in the camelback then? Ideal for winter night rides. Keeps your back warm, and you can doze off when you get home without having to neck a bottle of red.

wombat

Soup works well on a cold winter ride providing you can prevent the croutons clogging the tube 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Drac, no bother & thanks. (I daren’t use prison humour on here cos you’d ban me in seconds)

I’ve told matey he’ll have to clean his bladder out with Domestos, although he won’t believe me unless he reads it!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

if you did the same ride on differnt bikes with the same amount of milk in your camelbak, a simple butterometer would tell you how good your suspension is working. Poor suspension would then be given the a adjective – “buttery”

nick1962
    Free Member

I’ve told matey he’ll have to clean his bladder out with Domestos, although he won’t believe me unless he reads it

Full circle.Folk have been using Milton to clean hydration bladders for ages as used on babies’ milk bottles,he can read it here 🙂

http://magazine.bikeradar.com/2011/03/22/how-to-clean-and-dry-your-hydration-pack/

althepal

I remember someone years ago on bikemagic did it, it curdled and stank apparently.
    After that they were known as Lurback..

aracer
    Free Member

As a mid ride drink it’s rubbish, due to the fat content.

How do you know it wasn’t skimmed milk?

andyl
    Free Member

Domestos!!!!

Tell him to use milton not domestos.

I like nothing more than a pint of cold milk. If I had a pub I’d have it on tap, an udder shaped one of course.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Tell him to use milton not domestos.

He still won’t believe me. He didn’t believe that the other side of the Solway was Scotland, while we were in Cumbria.

he’s a nice lad but you have to shake your head at him sometimes.

mangatank
    Free Member

if you did the same ride on differnt bikes with the same amount of milk in your camelbak, a simple butterometer would tell you how good your suspension is working. Poor suspension would then be given the a adjective – “buttery”

Quite! 😆

Anyway, isn’t this the sort of thing Genghis Khan used to do? You could use the milk/butter/yoghurt/cheese (select option based on terrain grade and trail ambient temperature), to wash down your mid-ride snack of your saddle made of beef jerky.

Milk…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A mate came round for a ride (he was new to the sport) and didn’t have a drinks bottle.

So I miltoned a bottle for me and one for him, but I didn’t rinse it out very well.

After the ride my stomach was a bit iffy, and he told me that the next day at work his stomach started making loud gurgling sounds and he had the sh1ts so bad he had to go home.

Unfortunately he had made the bad decision of riding the motorbike in that day and when he got home he was so ‘rushed’ that he ‘dropped’ it on the lawn outside to run in to the loo.

As my stomach was also affected and babies also have a habit of pooing a lot I have reached the opinion that maybe babies poo so much because their parents also fail to rinse the milton out properly as well…

br
    Free Member

How do you know it wasn’t skimmed milk?

Skimmed Milk still has 50% of the fat of Full-Cream Milk.

cp

Eh? Skimmed is 0.1% whilst full fat is 3.x%

stufive
    Free Member

yuk 😯

nick1962
    Free Member

There is also fat free milk

aracer
    Free Member

Skimmed Milk still has 50% of the fat of Full-Cream Milk.

You’re thinking of semi-skimmed milk, the clue being in the name.

Actually come to think of it the amount of fat in full-fat milk isn’t that huge compared to things people eat on rides, and nor is it that bad a thing to have a bit of fat intake whilst riding.

andyl
    Free Member

So I miltoned a bottle for me and one for him, but I didn’t rinse it out very well.

I love the taste of milton in a freshly cleaned camelbak. 😕

I do make sure it’s at least double rinsed and when you do so make sure you get as much water out of the bladder and hose at each flush and give it a good rock to make sure it’s flushed all the way to the top including the cap.

dibboid
    Free Member

I’ve used sterilising tablets in my bladder before now. But you have to rinse it out loads to remove the bleachy taste. So I only do it every now and again. As for milk. … skimmed gives me stomach cramps so I avoid it at the best of times whereas full fat is fine. I can have a bowl of corn flakes for brekkie and ride 2 miles to work workout a problem with the full fat. 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I love the taste of milton in a freshly cleaned camelbak

There’s just something very fresh about it, isn’t there? Personally I tend to at least triple rinse though. Not that I need to use Milton all that much, as I tend to only put water in a bladder, and if I do use anything else it gets well rinsed and then dried.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Milk in a bladder, on a ride?’ is closed to new replies.